Most professional-looking Reel News, ever

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Most professional-looking Reel News, ever

Post by Mike N »

My January 2022 Reel News just arrived, and the improvement Richard Lodge made with the addition of color photography and the attention to detail is just incredible.

No need to publish a scholarly article about vintage tackle anywhere else. The Reel News has become the leading and most reliable publication on antique fishing reels in the world. The articles in this issue are written by some of the leading experts in our hobby. Great job, Richard, Ron, Steve, Roger, Dr.Todd, David, Betty and John!
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Most professional-looking Reel News, ever

Post by bettybarr »

Mike, thank you for the post and all of your posts that recognize the hard work of the Club officers, Roger and Richard. So much goes on behind the scenes to grow the Club and add more services at no additional charges. I appreciate what you have done to start the Club and help us continue to grow. Your posts are always informative and add to our knowledge.
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

The work Richard puts in to create a magazine that is way over the top----well
it just doesn't get much better.

Richard you are appreciated!
Willis Logan
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks, Mike, Betty and Logan. It takes many of us to do the research, write the articles and pull the magazine together. A big tip of my hat to Betty Barr, who proofs the pages before I send it off to the printer.
I'm always looking for people interesting in writing about reels and if you have suggestions for businesses you think I might want to approach about advertising in the magazine to support ORCA, please send me a private message or email. Thank you!
Richard
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Wow! Just got my copy today and I am thoroughly impressed. Our Reel News is now on a level with the English magazine Classic Angling. Congratulations to Richard and everyone involved in making it happen.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Quite an upgrade. Beautiful!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

I agree, great upgrade to an already awaited publication. Enjoyed all the articles. John Bechtold's article was an enjoyable read. I can relate to the solace he found in fishing alone, I also seek this refuge. Dr. Todd Larson also had an article I could really relate to, both as a kid and as a parent! I still do some spring crappie fishing with a Mitchell 309 hitched up to an old Wright and Mcgill 6ft medium light for bank casting light spinners. The occasional bass or catfish, on this rig is the closest I have gotten to deep sea fishing, SO FAR.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The makeover is just an incredible improvement and makes reading all the great history all the more enjoyable! I learn something new with every article and having such a beautiful mag to archive will Make it much easier to find all those things I forget!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Great Illingsworth article, David! Your dedication drew a smile. 8)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Absolutely great issue. Love the new color format. Fantastic Job on the part of all who are responsible for this very impressive upgrade of the Reel News.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

mark bumgarner wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:03 pm I still do some spring crappie fishing with a Mitchell 309 hitched up to an old Wright and Mcgill 6ft medium light for bank casting light spinners. The occasional bass or catfish, on this rig is the closest I have gotten to deep sea fishing, SO FAR.
I remember hooking a monster fish on a 308 when I was about 12. Light action 6 foot rod, 6 pound test, #1 Mepps Aglia Long. Fought it for 20 minutes and soon was convinced I'd gotten a world record fish. CONVINCED. Got the fish next to the boat ... 5 pound hammer handle. To add insult to injury, as I grabbed the line to try and put my hand on the pike's gills and haul it in ... head shake and night night. Goodbye fish.

-- Dr. Todd
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom R »

Still waiting for my copy to arrive! 😕
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Still waiting for my copy to arrive!
Me too. Mail to southeastern PA is usually delayed by Border Patrol trainees practicing by closing the border with New Jersey. What gets across is then read by ICE trainees before it gets to your local PO. :evil:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Steve wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am
Still waiting for my copy to arrive!
Me too. Mail to southeastern PA is usually delayed by Border Patrol trainees practicing by closing the border with New Jersey. What gets across is then read by ICE trainees before it gets to your local PO. :evil:
Glad we still use the Pony Express! Got mine over 10 days ago. That's what y'all back east get for givin' the head honcho such a hard time. :lol:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Still waiting for mine. In the past, I got them earlier than most. If someone in Ky/Oh/Ind has received theirs, would like to know.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom R »

February 2nd and I still haven't received my copy!! Any others out there still waiting? :Bawl:
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

If you have not received your Reel News for January, email me (or contact through board and website email/PM).

Roger Schulz

(Edited to remove email address)