Maker and date of this reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Maker and date of this reel?

Post by Mike N »

Can anyone help me with the maker and date/catalog reference for this fly reel? Thanks.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Maker and date of this reel?

Post by wrong99 »

Is it stamped HENDRYX on top of the foot? Something is there, but I can't make it out.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

wrong99 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:25 pm Is it stamped HENDRYX on top of the foot? Something is there, but I can't make it out.
Yes it does, Mark. Not sure how I (again) missed that. It looks like another reel I own and I just confused the two. Any catalog reference or date? Thx.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I found your reel in the 1905 Hendryx catalog, although I'm sure they were made for many, many years. Came in brass or nickel-plated. Yours would be the No.00308 P.N. in the 100-yard size. The smaller 40-Yard size is illustrated in the catalog.
Mark

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

wrong99 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:51 pm I found your reel in the 1905 Hendryx catalog, although I'm sure they were made for many, many years. Came in brass or nickel-plated. Yours would be the No.00308 P.N. in the 100-yard size. The smaller 40-Yard size is illustrated in the catalog.
Mark

As usual, Mark to the rescue. I’m downloading the 1910 Hendryx catalog from the ORCA library. Thanks, again.

PS I can only imagine the labor hours that went into the manufacture and assembly of this well-built reel that sold for only $.50, or $6.00 per dozen.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

well-built :?: reel
Almost all of Hendryx's many reel patents were aimed at mass-producing reels more cheaply.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."