Is Facebook a robust vintage tackle venue?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Is Facebook a robust vintage tackle venue?

Post by Mike N »

I’m not a Facebooker but I’m told that beyond Joe’s Old Lures website there are several sites on Facebook with robust vintage tackle discussions and sales. Can someone enlighten us and provide the group names and links?

Thanks

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Is Facebook a robust vintage tackle venue?

Post by Teal »

I just had a nice conversation with perhaps the most savvy collector I've ever known. He told me nearly all the good finds he's had in the past five years have come from Facebook.

Probably should open up an account some day. Maybe not.

-- Dr. Todd
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

I have a Facebook group but its strictly a non selling group and its antiques i.e 100 years or older, but we are not that pedantic with that. Its purpose is a sort of show and tell or ask and enquire. It has brought out some great items of tackle.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2557700291123801

I am also a member of a few other groups which do sell and buy tackle. There are a few Hardy groups and a Dingley group.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I personally have not bought anything of significance on Facebook. There's sometimes some nice reels for show and tell, but NFS. But, I guess you never know. There's a lot of lures on there though, much like the percentage seen on Joe's Message Board.

If you're interested, here's links to my pages.

https://www.facebook.com/luresnreels
https://www.facebook.com/reelsnlures
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I used to make some posts for Paul for the ORCA FB page and he was a member of several tackle groups. He recommended a few to me and used to ask questions he received from them. I know they are out there but I only participate in a Mitchell group. Many reels come up for sale there. I’m sure there are others, I just try not to do much on there anymore.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Etsy doesn't have discussions, but a lot of antique reels for sale.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If I remember right Paul M would get a lot of inquiries from his FB connection. He occasionally talked about purchasing this or that reel from those inquiries.

Sometimes there is some decent cheaper stuff listed on FB Marketplace or the Goodwill Auction site.

I don't indulge in any FB stuff, though.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bud Chaddock »

Well. If you sell, they still will have a 1099-k That after $600.00 you will have pay 24% anything after $600.00 in sales. Let's see Tackle show tables a write off?? Plane fare to tackle show a write off. Meals at Tackle show a write off? Boxes to ship, Tape, labels, ink, paper for printer, gas milage, gas. I am glad to say that 85% of my collection was based on trades and shows and not internet sales. But then again how many save receipts from 40 years ago? I get rid of tax papers after 8 years. In a matter of fact, I shredded 20 years' worth. But then how do you value a trade? Cash wise? Food for thought.

I hope to sell a little of this and that when I find an acorn. But now I don't even want to deal with all the paperwork. And it will consume your time if you are a player in this hobby. I think I would rather lose a fish and have a memory than worry about all this. Paperwork = less time and cast for that next experience so to speak. In the past month I have passed on some pretty nice useable gear that I would have parlayed some to keep the one I would use. Now I look at what I have and how much I actually use it and if I need the new reel in the find. The other factor when going on a call is when you get there and they have 10 E-bay receipts next to the items of what top dollar got on the items they called on and you try to get some reason with all the fees involved and they say in a gruff way. Well, that's what it's worth. And I won't sell for a dime less. I am not offended but now in this new world order if you would there will be many more passes on my end, and I will encourage them to get a Facebook account, a E-bay account and lets see what next year will bring.
Watching the Stock market show and they were talking about Pay Pals weakness and don't even discuss this new rule with all internet rules. Bury there head in the sand I guess. I think they need to brig it up as an issue. Well back to my Coffee.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Facebook has massive sites. The Vintage Penn Reels page has over 10,000 members. There is a Tycoon / Finor page, Ocean City Page, Antique page, etc. These are all private groups that you can be invited into or introduce yourself. The good ones have strict rules and are heavily moderated. I spend most of my online time on Facebook. Nothing is perfect, I find nothing like Facebook. And if someone annoys you, you simply unfriend him and he is gone from your page. I also have a personal page ( https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009015633989 ) that I use to advertise and talk about my interests. Because it is so vast, there are many media type problems, but you can navigate yourself away from the junk and police yourself by not allowing yourself to fall into problem discussions, especially politics. I do not sell on Facebook, I am an eBay seller for many years. I know the rules have changed and I will feel it out in the future.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food