My Collection

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

My Collection

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

At one point during my collection years, I had around 850 reels. Mostly Casting or Fly reels. A few years back I downsized to less than half that. I never had many really expensive ones. Not really happy with the way I disposed of them either. I always tried to keep any someone had given me or that I had bought from ORCA Members. I have a Bronson casting reel which first used to belong to deceased ORCA Member Robert Ellis, then later to former member Rick Heitman. I purchased it one time from Rick. Both of these gentlemen were truly great guys even though I never met either one in person. And both good friends. I have many friends in ORCA I have never met and many I have. All great individuals. I rarely post much anymore. ( And partly because I was going to try to post a pic of this reel and had my camera set at it's lowest resolution and it kept saying file too big) The older you get the easier it is to become frustrated!!)
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Re: My Collection

Post by Bud Chaddock »

Yes Robert was a fixture at the Santa Rosa show in California. Always willing to share thoughts and info. Always took the time to call or write on any subject questions were asked on. Yes, you would think in this day and age a couple or 3 clicks would suffice in trying to download at a faster rate. This board works much better than some. Yes, the older I get I have less patience also on these matters. What I have gained more out of all of this is the friendships that evolved over the years.
I am sure Robert knew that reel in and out.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Jon....I'd bet that you can find that reel, on the Bronson Reel site. I'm sure it's there and you could copy and paste a pic here. Here's the link.... https://www.orcaonline.org/bronson-reel ... home-page/
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Rick: You are exactly right. Except I am not smart enough to copy and paste it. Maybe it's because earlier this week I tested positive for Covid or perhaps it's my stupidity!!
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Some of the neatest things I have are not reels but artifacts. I have four photos Robert Ellis once sent me . Signed beautiful photographs Robert took during visits to Yosemite. He also shared with me once a picture of his Mom and Dad sitting on an overlook at Yosemite. He and his then girlfriend found the exact same overlook , posed the same and took their pictures. I have some art work from ORCA member Robert Miller did. He once told me I was probably the only one outside of his immediate family to have any of his art works. I have so many books written by ORCA members, many signed, I could never read them all in a lifetime. All treasures to me. I have a Case knife Colby Sorrels once sent me when I was librarian , he said here is some thanks for doing a thankless job. John Elder once gave me a Ky. Reel, probably after I complained about not being able to afford one. These are the things I treasure!!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Here's Jon's photos (Thumbnails). Click on them to enlarge & a second time to enlarge again.

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Thank's Tom for doing what I could not!
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Beautiful Reel Jon, Looks to be the Bronson 3600 Commander, I have one I got from Mark Williams. Those old highly engraved reels sure are impressive, but not nearly as impressive as the brotherhood expressed in your post. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Bummy
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jonathan P. Kring wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 pm Thank's Tom for doing what I could not!
No big deal, Jon. I still owe you big time for that Mitchell 300 50th anniversary gift!

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

No one in ORCA owes me a thing. Not a finer bunch of folks to be found.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Jon, you are truly one of our treasures and i was thrilled to pass on that KY to you because i knew you would really appreciate and enjoy it! It’s also nice to know that our old buddy Rick is lurking in the background (LOL). I hope your illness is short and mild, which appears to be the trend with these omicron infections. I suspect one of those darling grandkids shared with you! This, too, shall pass!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Well, Jonathan, to build up a collection of 850 vintage reels is an accomplishment any ORCAn would be proud to hang his/her hat on. Well done, and thanks for all you have contributed to our club.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

to build up a collection of 850 vintage reels is an accomplishment any ORCAn would be proud to hang his/her hat on
Amen to this! We’re sure all thankful for your time served as Librarian, it is a thankless job but surely important. I sure hope you have a speedy recovery and aren’t too sick 🙏
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Talk about cherished items, Jon. The embroidered ORCA logo that your wife did years ago, and that you were so kind enough to send to me, has always been the centerpiece of a reel display at my home. You've always been one of the good guys and an example of what this club is all about.
Mark

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

stay and play Jon - we like your company
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

wrong99 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:22 am Talk about cherished items, Jon. The embroidered ORCA logo that your wife did years ago, and that you were so kind enough to send to me, has always been the centerpiece of a reel display at my home. You've always been one of the good guys and an example of what this club is all about.
Mark
I'm fortunate enough to have gotten one, too, and ditto! Mine's hanging on the wall over my desk and facing you as you walk into my reel room!

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Wasn't my wife who made those. My son whom I now live behind did the embroidery work and I put them in the hoops (Which required no skill) If It would have I'd have been in trouble. Mine is hanging above my computer. One of my major problems now is I have no designated reel room anymore so as a result, I can never find anything, even my mind when I loose it!!
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

ORCANS,

My Kring Family embroidery lords over my De Liar collection, over 50 varieties from all over the world. I'm a little crazy about De Liars and the hoop is THE topper.

Thanks, Jon

Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I'm going to try to get the embroidery Kring to make me a few more. It's tough getting stuff out of him anymore. Glad you are enjoying it!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:D Here’s mine… and in the foreground you’ll see a couple other Kringian gifts … they cured my slice but i could never get them past the lady’s tees

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

The ol Golf Ball key rings. Have made many and given them away, Don't help golf but keep your keys.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Adding my embroidery photo to the pile to further note what a great guy Jonathan is and how so many of us appreciate him as a person and as someone who has given selflessly to ORCA. Thanks, Jon!

-- Dr. Todd
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

When I began this post, I was not looking for accolades. In recent years one on my favorite songs is by the Gaither Vocal band, entitled "Take What God Gives You and Give It Away." That's what life is all about!!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Years ago I gave away probably 40 of the hooped O.R.C.A. logos free to member's I knew. I had my son make me 26 more on white material. Difficult task because he doesn't embroider much anymore. If anyone wants one , I would send you an unhoped one for 5.00 including mailing or a hooped one for 10.00 including mailing. Not making a profit just trying to come close to re cooping costs. If you want one E mail me from the directory with where to ship to. Jonathan Kring
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

You are too generous John. You make ORCA proud to call you a member. Thanks for all you do for the organization.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle