SOLD - Miller Reel - Shakespeare Miller Autocrat - 10/0 Size

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

SOLD - Miller Reel - Shakespeare Miller Autocrat - 10/0 Size

Post by reeltackle »

Ralph Miller invented and built the Miller reel and sold the design to Shakespeare who marketed it as "The Shakespeare Miller Reel" and later, "The Shakespeare Miller Autocrat". The reel for sale here is Ralph Miller's personal prototype version of the reel in a scarce uncatalogued, 6 inch diameter, 10/0 size. Miller's name is elaborately engraved on the rear side-plate and there are no Shakespeare markings on the reel.

The drag and freespool on this reel function like the "Micro-Adjust" drag which was an upgrade you could get for the Shakespeare Miller Autocrat Reels. The reel seat has a unique double lock-down operation to make the reel secure to the rod. The reel is in used condition, see accompanying photos. Mechanically the reel turns fine but the anti-reverse and free-spool operation are not functioning properly and need to be looked at.

Shakespeare only sold the Miller Autocrat reels to the public in the 4/0 and 6/0 sizes. To date, only three other large 6 inch diameter reels have been found and those reels were made for Mr. Shakespeare to take shark fishing in South Africa. The other three large 6 inch diameter reels are labeled "Shakespeare Miller" reels. This is the earliest reel of the four and Ralph Miller, the inventor's, personal reel. I have included pictures from the Shakespeare brochure that show Miller and tell the history.

This reel is a wonderful piece of both Shakespeare and big game fishing history.

Priced reasonably, please contact me if you have interest.

Last edited by reeltackle on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Miller Reel - Shakespeare Miller Autocrat - 10/0 Size

Post by Nick in NY »

Ed, What do you want for your reel? Nick n N.Y.
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Re: Miller Reel - Shakespeare Miller Autocrat - 10/0 Size

Post by reeltackle »

Sorry Nick, the reel sold yesterday. I know you were looking for a 12/0 Julius Vom Hofe a while back, I have one for sale if you are interested. I also have a nice 12/0 Stead in its case for sale.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: SOLD - Miller Reel - Shakespeare Miller Autocrat - 10/0 Size

Post by Nick in NY »

Mmm I’ve the Stead and I think we’re to far apart on the Julius (though I’ve a nice/small Banister for possible trade) keep me in mind in the future for a 10/14-0 Millers! Let’s make it happen,
Tight Lines Nick
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!