Four Brothers PONTIAC Surf Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Four Brothers PONTIAC Surf Reel

Post by mark bumgarner »

All new to this so patience please. Have been cleaning and polishing on this old reel about nine hours total now and still have some to go but was wondering what you guys would suggest to spray or wipe down to retard the tarnishing. Has anyone gun blued any of these? I noticed in my Pflueger catalog they came in a "Bright Gun Metal". I'm OK with the brass look but was just curious.

Thanks
Bummy
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Four Brothers PONTIAC Surf Reel

Post by RAM »

Simichrome polish is great for polishing reels and seems to keep the finish looking good for a reasonably long time. Don’t recommend such as bluing as collectors prefer original finishes even with honest wear. Gives a reel “character.” Simichrome can be found at any Harley-Davidson shop or some hardware stores. Works on hard rubber reels and wood lures very well too. Try fishing that reel sometime!

Bad Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What Bob said!

Just wanted to add best buy for simichrome (and most other stuff we use) is on Amazon or ebay. All sellers and all deals are not the same so shop. Would also point out its your reel and not rare, so if what you do makes you happy, go for it!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Simichrome, Flitz, Wenol are all similar polishes with similar formulations, reviewed and approved by ORCA in the official Reel Restoration update soon to be published. I prefer Flitz. All are available online.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

OK, Thanks guys, I have used simichrome polish on reel and it is looking pretty good (To Me and thats what counts) just wondered if it needed any additional protection but sounds like simichrome will stand up. I have re-blued a couple shotguns in the past , the cheap way, so think I will leave well enough alone. I was the youngest of four boys so guess I just needed a couple, eight or nine Four Bros Reels, used to wear four brothers flannel shirts but can't find them anymore!
Thanks again
Bummy