Kovalovsky Pow-R-Arm Restoration

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Kovalovsky Pow-R-Arm Restoration

Post by Deepfins791 »

I thought there might be some reelsmiths out there who would find this interesting. I found this Wilton Pow-R-Arm “work positioner” in Lewis Kovalovsky’s garage. Admittedly, I didn’t even know what it was or what it was used for. It looked to me like it was missing parts, and I almost chucked it in the scrap pile. To the rescue came Tom Gould, ORCA member and machinist/vintage tool expert, extraordinaire. Tom had kindly offered to help me identify and sell the tools I found in Lewis’ garage soon after I posted the find on this forum. With his help, I was able to find buyers for all the tools, minus the ones I was keeping for my shop. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

Tom told me the Wilton Pow-R-Arm was a very hot item amongst vintage tool collectors, and mine was one of the original models. The Wilton company has been around since 1941, and they are famous for their bullet vises. They added the Pow-R-Arm to their product line in the 50’s. A similar model is still being made, today.

Tom added that the Wilton Pow-R-Arm was a very a handy tool to have in the shop. Any of a number of tools/vises can be mounted to the arm. Once mounted, the arm can be rotated/angled and locked into virtually any position, placing your tool exactly where you need it. They were very popular in production line work. A quick google will show images and videos of the Pow-R-Arm in use.

I thought it would be really handy to mount a small vise to the arm. Wilton actually made a “Baby Bullet” vise that could be used with their Pow-R-Arm, but resale value of those vintage bullet vises was way out of my price range. Tom recommended I get a Versa Vise, and he offered to make me a custom adapter I could use to mount the vise to my Wilton.

Once I got the shiny new red Versa Vise, I decided to restore the Wilton. Surprisingly, it came completely apart by simply removing 4 bolts. What a genius design. Simple, yet functional! On Tom’s recommendation, I used a good long soak in Zep Purple Degreaser for cleanup and paint removal. Then I finished up with a shot of metal primer and paint.

Below are before and after pictures of the Wilton, Tom’s really slick adaptor he designed and machined for it, and the Versa Vise mounted to the Wilton. In the “After” photos, the Wilton/vise is staged on a vintage cast iron J.C. Busch surface plate I also found in Lew’s garage. My last step will be to make a good solid base to bolt the Wilton to for stability.

Thanks to Tom for all his advice and help with this project!

Cheers,
John

RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Kovalovsky Pow-R-Arm Restoration

Post by RonG »

I love cool looking tools!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

There is something about red tools and red brakes that spin my crank. Very nice restoration.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Nice job John they look new !! JT
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Beautiful work, John! That will make a handy tool for your shop!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

One other point John, your work bench doesn't look Elderish.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Hah! That's funny, Ron! My workbench doesn't look Kovalovskyish, either. That's probably an indicator of my skill level!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Whatta ya mean by that??! :oops:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Here's Lewis Kovalovsky's workbench. Not as bad as Elder's, but close.

I actually kept his workbench, restored it, and now use it in my workshop.