Poll: Would you at least break even if you sold your reel collection tomorrow?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!

Would you at least break-even if you sold your entire reel collection tomorrow?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:27 pm

Yes, even considering acquisition costs, I would at least break-even if I sold my reel collection.
17%
No, I overpaid when the market was hot and would likely end up losing money if I sold.
14%
I probably would earn a profit of at least 25% if I sold my entire reel collection.
7%
I would probably earn a profit return in excess of 25% if I sold my entire reel collection.
24%
I honestly have no idea, since the value to me has always been in the hunt and the camaraderie.
24%
I don’t even want to think about it. It’s for my heirs to worry about.
7%
Other response not found above, posted below.
7%

Total votes: 29

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Poll: Would you at least break even if you sold your reel collection tomorrow?

Post by Mike N »

Poll: a simple series of options about a complicated topic…
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Poll: Would you at least break even if you sold your reel collection tomorrow?

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Biggest mistake I ever made was consigning my collection. If I had it to do all over I would give them all away instead of loosing big time as happened. Another lesson learned.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
John.saulen
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Poll: Would you at least break even if you sold your reel collection tomorrow?

Post by John.saulen »

Great Question that a lot of us don’t want to think about. As my 9 yr old Grandson recently stated as I was sharing some new additions to my reel collection, “Grampy, you may have a problem”. Little does he realize my problem he commented on may soon be his problem, as I rarely part with em…
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

I will come out way ahead because the real value is the many friends, experiences and knowledge I've gained by being involved with old tackle. What ever monetary value the tackle has when I (or someone else) disposes of it all is very minor to what I've gained these last 35 years. Time with great friends, many of them now fishing friends, learning the history behind the products and especially learning about the inventor/maker, and actually fishing with the old tackle is truly priceless. Thank you all for sharing your time, history and many, many laughs with me over the years. Hopefully many years to go in this wonderful hobby!! Keepin' It Fun! Colby
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I originally thought I would at least break even or come out a little ahead and enjoy them thoroughly throughout the process if I was patient, selective and bought right. I've started to question the monetarial aspect of that thought process the last 3 or 4 years with the shipping increases, though. The highly desired stuff should still bring decent money but the common run of the mill items will most likely be a tougher sell considering shipping costs.

I still love to look at and fondle my reels and really enjoy the hunt. I'll be glad when the Wuhan Virus allows me to feel comfortable going out hunting again.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I don't have a big collection, but I do have 98 GB of reel photos.
From the start, I paid what I considered wholesale, except on a few items I really wanted, and only bought what I knew others would want to buy from me for at least what I paid.
Much of my collection paid for itself in speculation, more than that in reel repairs, repairing and turning desirable fly reels.
I've bought firearms, bicycles and kayaks selling reels.

The big difference with the reels I work on now, I'll be fishing into retirement, and nobody wants to pay what I put into them.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I selected No, but the reason is not that the market was hot, its just that I have purchased over the last 30 years, and paid for something if I wanted it. The higher end reels and the lower end reels will not likely bring what I paid. But as others have commented, I don't really care. I have enjoyed all the history and camaraderie and I bought what I liked. I would guess it might sell quickly for around 60-75% of what I paid, not at all considering any of the show costs.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

kyreels wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:07 pm I selected No, but the reason is not that the market was hot, its just that I have purchased over the last 30 years, and paid for something if I wanted it. The higher end reels and the lower end reels will not likely bring what I paid. But as others have commented, I don't really care. I have enjoyed all the history and camaraderie and I bought what I liked. I would guess it might sell quickly for around 60-75% of what I paid, not at all considering any of the show costs.
+1
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:07 pm …its just that I have purchased over the last 30 years, and paid for something if I wanted it.
I understand where Matt is coming from. I’ve made my living as a professional negotiator over the past 40 years, but when it comes to vintage reels I really don’t feel like I have to “win.”

One of the ways I’ve been able to build my collection is by having other collectors or sellers come to me first when they have a good reel for sale because I’ll pay their asking price without a counter-offer if it’s something I want. That strategy may not get you the best price, but it gets you the best stuff.

I consider many of my reel collector buddies among my closest friends even though we might only see each other once or twice every couple years at ORCA Nationals or Daytona FATC. And how do you put a price on that?
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bud Chaddock »

When say traded like most I have or a acorn find in the field to acquire most of what I have at 35 years + of gathering and then sell something I don't want or again trade for is what I would prefer to do. My family had friends in the auction service in Minnesota for over 60 years. Mom and pop services. I remember sitting next to them hearing them say they way over payed for that. Heat of the moment not wanting to see the other guy beat them on that. Learned at 10 years of age watching that that I would not bid on many things in my life. Just like housing now. I would like to move to Montana and myself and my wife are retired with pensions and the prices for junk homes there as much as bay area in California for remodels. Relators saying you're going to have to bid higher. I say not buying into it when my home here is nicer. I feel the same way any more about buying certain tackle. I have passed on some good stuff lately in my area because of hype. But if you enjoy what you have collected, I guess that's all that matters.
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

I likely would loose money or break even. Much of my collection was acquired when prices were higher and and many high quality reels were deemed more scarce. ebay has shown us that many high quality reels are actually much more common than we once thought. But my participation in the hobby for over 25 years has given me great enjoyment and some fine friends, thus likely preserving my mental health.
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I don't even know what I paid for some of my reels. I would probably come out behind because if one that I need comes up for sale I buy it. I've also made a few that I needed be for sale by way overpaying. I don't lose sleep over that, I'm not in this to make money. I like the reels I have and love hunting for more. I only remember a few specific online auctions but I remember every single transaction I've ever made at a show. Met some great people and traveled to some great places for shows. Many times the reels I've brought home haven't even been my favorite part about going to a show. If at some time I decide to stop collecting reels and sell them it doesn't really matter to me If I get back anything because it will have all still been worth it to me.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

My collection is actually my inventory. Granted, what I consider my collection are actually reels that I feel I married many years ago. If I go back, I know I have had over 1000 reels, and I now have about 200. I have kept books. I would not lose money, knowing how much ahead I would be is kind of impossible to know. I do know that my collection supports itself but would never support itself and me. Here is my collection as of yesterday.

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

m3040c wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:32 pm My collection is actually my inventory. Granted, what I consider my collection are actually reels that I feel I married many years ago. If I go back, I know I have had over 1000 reels, and I now have about 200. I have kept books. I would not lose money, knowing how much ahead I would be is kind of impossible to know. I do know that my collection supports itself but would never support itself and me. Here is my collection as of yesterday.

Wow, that’s quite an inventory. I love the cabinets and the way everything is displayed. Well, done!

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
TexasJim
Big ORCA Fan

Post by TexasJim »

I'm not a "collector", but have acquired a few reels as gifts, from the widow of my late fishing buddy. I think her first late husband had these. I am using a fifty-year-old ABU Sweden Ambassedeur 5000, after cleaning it, lubing it, and putting carbontex drag washers and new brake weights in it. It's still a great reel. I carry it in my skiff to use when I have caught a ladyfish and use it for cut-bait. So far, I have only ever caught hardheads and crabs! I just re-habbed a Shakespeare 2052, with carbontex drag washers, and I put it on a brand-new 13 Fishing 7' ultralight spinning rod with 6-pound mono. Plan to use it flats fishing on my kayak, as soon as the weather allows. I also have an old Hawthorne Automatic fly reel, no plans for it, so if anyone here collects that sort of thing, it's up for grabs, no charge. Contact me in Rockport, TX.
All my other reels have been bought cheap, and I probably haven't spent $300 in total on five or six baitcasters. I have used and abused my reels, and have learned every possible way to re-assemble them wrong! It's amazing that my Chinese baitcasters are quieter, smoother, and easier to work on than my Shimano. I have learned to service my reels after EVERY fishing trip, since I fish only in saltwater, sometimes at water-level. Sometimes below. Glad to be a new member here.
TexasJim
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Several years ago I was at a lure meet. I was visiting with a friend and collector.
On the side he would run list of fishing tackle. He told me this story while we were
visiting. He had a collector friend who had cancer, and was not going to be around too
long.

They were at a lure show and the collector who had cancer requested that my friend come
and meet his family. My friend assumed that the reason he was to meet the family was so he
could help them dispose of all the tackle the cancer victim had once he had passed.

My friend went over and met Aunt Agnes, Uncle Charlie, Nephew Joey, and the whole clan.
About three hours later the two collectors ran into each other. My friend stated: "I figured
you wanted me to meet your family so I could help them dispose of all your tackle once you
have gone." The answer he got was oh no! I just wanted you to meet my family. I am not going
to turn loose of anything while I am alive. Once I am gone my wife can put it all on the curb
as far as am concerned.
Willis Logan
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Interesting subject and comments. It seems that collectors all have different interests, whether it's butterflies, cars, shark's teeth, art, or old fishing equipment. Any of those can maintain value and even appreciate over time depending upon rarity and condition.
I should think that vintage reel collectors that limited their collections to only a few of the most appreciated manufacturers, and were able to accumulate (with knowledge and some luck) somewhat complete groupings of reels they offered will have the best chance at recovering funds spent over time should they like to liquidate at some point.
In my case a break even would be a welcomed scenario...if and when. I still have a few
Meisselbach and Hendryx holes to fill, and the hunt remains as much fun as it was when it started.
Corbo
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Last day of voting. It would be nice to get to 30 ballots for a solid sample size.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Well I guess I’m in the other category. I wanted a few old reels to fish with, and became fascinated with them. A cross country move disrupted my fishing and reel restoration became my meditation.

Didn’t really think of them as an investment. There are no truly rare reels in the bunch. Just a good sampling of old fishing reels, focused mainly on old casting reels. To make them fishable again meant I’ve invested some hours of work in each, hence the “meditative value”.

If they’ve gained any value it would be that each one is now fishable. But, the market is likely small for what most fishers would consider outdated, and relatively high maintenance, reels. Now that my relocation is nearly complete, I’m going to enjoy these old reels. Remains to be seen where they end up in the future. Don’t like to think they’ll just fall into disrepair again.

But, I guess I have to be philosophical. Like I had to be with the wetland I restored on our last property. It was so beautiful that neighbors would stop and photograph it as it went through its seasonal paces. I was resigned to the fact that, after I go, it’ll likely be taken over by a monoculture of invasives again. I, and a few passers by, enjoyed it while I had it.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024