Wards Precision model 40

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Wards Precision model 40

Post by mark bumgarner »

Can you tell me who made the Wards Precision Model 40 reel? I found a post on fishingtalks listing it as a pre-war Bronson made reel. Our Bronson page does not list the model 40 and the engraving on the reel is different than any I have seen on a Bronson reel, similar but different to the "pleasing geometric design" found on some Bronson made Precisions and the early Bronson Mercury. The oil caps and handle look more Shakespeare to me. Checked the Wards catalogs in library but did not find any dating back far enonugh. Would Love for this to be a Bronson production but ???

Thanks
Bummy
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Wards Precision model 40

Post by kyreels »

Here is a posted list showing the Precision model 40 as Bronson
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15009&hilit=Montgomery+Ward
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Thanks for info Matt, I may further investigate this in a pm to Mark.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Just to clear this up, the pre-war Precision 40 was made by Bronson. The post-war model by Shakespeare. Both geometric designs were completely different. The Wards list was being compiled by myself and Robert Ellis. Robert suddenly died before we finished the list and it was never completely updated, something I intend to do at some point.
Mark
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Thanks for the info Mark. Looks like I have the post-war Shakespeare, a beautiful reel but will not make the Bronson Cabinet.