Winston Guest - Extra large Fin-Nor Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Winston Guest - Extra large Fin-Nor Reel

Post by 54bullseye »

Winston Guest _ Polo player, Big game Fisherman !! This guy got around ! The reel is a 15/0 Fin-Nor CT model from the late 1930s or possibly early 1940s. It is unusual in that it holds 1000 yds of 54 thread linen line.  All the other 15/0 CT models I have seen and own hold a standard 850 yds of 54 thread but I am sure Mr Guest had no problem paying Fred Grieten a few extra $$$$$$$$ to make his reel a bit wider. He also had his name hand engraved on the back plate of the reel I don't know if that was thru Fin-Nor or an after thought ?? I am sure he knew a few jewelers !!!

Here is a picture and small write up of Winston Guest and Frank O'Brien in The Tycoon book by Tim O'Brien. I will bet the rod he is holding ended up having the wide Fin-Nor mounted on it !!! Any one have pictures ???

Next a couple photos the first is Winston Guest along with his mother, then Amelia Earhart and Guest's brother. They say Mrs Guest financially backed Earhart's historic last flight !!
Second Photo is Winston Guest and his new wife CZ along with Earnest Hemingway and his wife at Hemingway's home in Cuba just after Hemingway was Winston's best man a there wedding at Hemingway's home.
Guest's wife CZ was born on the North Shore of Boston, Mass. They say she dated Errol Flynn before she married Guest.

Last a couple photos are of Winston Guest fishing in Wedgeport, Nova Scotia With Tommy Gifford in 1935. The first is Gifford piloting the dory with Guest fighting the Tuna unfortunately it was 1935 so before the big Fin-Nor was made. I believe he has a Coxe reel but I may be wrong. Second is Guest and Gifford with 619 lb Tuna again in 1935.

Needless to say it seems that Big Game fishing back in those days was a rich mans sport !! Enjoy !!!

John Taylor

PS : If anyone should by chance have more pictures of Winston Guest I would love to find more to go with the story !!
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Winston Guest - Extra large Fin-Nor Reel

Post by Jay White »

Great reel and awesome photos John! Its always a big plus to have the history with the reel. :bow: Great find! :bow:
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Now that's what I call a big game reel. The photos really add to the interest in this great reel.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Great photos, thanks for the post.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

Great photos and story, John.

Would it help to convey the size of the reel to lay a dollar bill next to the object being photographed?
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom R »

Great story and photos to go along with an awesome relic from a different and interesting era of big game fishing.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

that's a lot of sushi