Greetings .. New here ..Hoping somebody can help me

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
DexDawg
Big ORCA Fan

Greetings .. New here ..Hoping somebody can help me

Post by DexDawg »

I ventured out for a stroll along a creek and spotted this lying on a sand bar. It has a very heavy cast body and all that I could find on it is "Great Lakes" followed by 3 stars and the numeral 1.
Below that it says Lexington, Michigan USA.

Anybody know how old it might be? I can't seem to find a match on a Google Search.

That you.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Greetings .. New here ..Hoping somebody can help me

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I have several Great Lakes Casting Reels. Not too terribly old. I'm sure there is info. in the ORCA Library if someone can direct you too it.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

There are no Great Lakes catalogs or other info in the current library. We do have them listed in the alphabetical reference on the public Reel Research page with this notation, relating to rotating spool reels:

GREAT LAKES PRODUCTS, (Detroit, MI and Windsor, ON) reel maker from Lexington, Michigan, made their brand and also many trade reels! Pictured below is a Great Lakes reel that was made for Gambles Auto Supply and branded with their name brand Hiawatha. This style of reel was made in several different colors, we have seen them in green, yellow, red, blue, white and black as seen here. Lakesman was a reel trade name.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
DexDawg
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DexDawg »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the info.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

My first reel, when I was in about second grade (circa 1965), was a Great Lakes bait casting reel. My mom got it for me by saving up S&H Green stamps from groceries purchased at the local A&P and Loblaw’s grocery stores. Now there’s a few nostalgic names.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Green Stamps....Oh my!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Top Value stamps and Scotch Plaid too!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Mike N wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 pm My first reel, when I was in about second grade (circa 1965), was a Great Lakes bait casting reel. My mom got it for me by saving up S&H Green stamps from groceries purchased at the local A&P and Loblaw’s grocery stores. Now there’s a few nostalgic names.
My mother was a manager of our local S&H Green Stamp store for years when I was a kid !! She used to bring me home RETURNED or broken fishing gear and I still have a lot of it. First time I have thought about S&H Green Stamps for years it brings back many memories !! Thanks John Taylor
DexDawg
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DexDawg »

The Great Lakes Model 1 spincast reel was manufactured in the 1950’s for stores like Montgomery Wards, Sears & Roebuck, and J.C. Penny. You don't often see them branded with just Great Lakes. That is unique.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

DexDawg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:24 amThe Great Lakes Model 1 spincast reel was manufactured in the 1950’s for stores like Montgomery Wards, Sears & Roebuck, and J.C. Penny. You don't often see them branded with just Great Lakes. That is unique.
Curious, where did that info/opinion come from?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
DexDawg
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DexDawg »

I was given the name of a fellow who collects antique reels and passed the info and photos to him. That was his reply.