Odd old roller guides

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Odd old roller guides

Post by 54bullseye »

This question was asked a while ago by the previous owner of these rods now I am hoping to find out who made these odd stripper guides. They are neat with the rollers on the side and the two main rollers. Would be great with the wide reels to prevent line from rubbing or chafing on sides of standard guides. The rods are fairly early root beer colored fiberglass and have Lakeland reel seats with nice old wood butts. The rods had been retied back in the 60s and were used for tuna fishing off Gloucester Mass. and had a couple Fin-Nor CT 12/0s from the 1940s mounted on them. Another member KIWI bought the reels.
I have a Mildrum catalog from 1953 and it has similar double rollers in it but nothing like the strippers. Does anyone have any other catalogs by Mildrum or Allan that might show them ?? Has anyone seen similar guides or maybe know the brand ??
Any info would be appreciated Thanks
John Taylor

Last edited by 54bullseye on Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Odd old roller guides

Post by 54bullseye »

Well last night I answered my own question. Also a fellow on Alan Tani's site made same evaluation. I was cleaning the guides up and they look home or custom made and adapted to original Allan guides bases. Very nicely done and I think a great idea. JT
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

That makes the most sense.
My thought about it was that no company would go to that extreme without their trademark on the product.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Now that I look closer, home or custom on original type frames seems fairly obvious, especially since small nuts and bolts were used rather than rivets. Curious, John, what holds the roller mechanisms in place between the hoops on those two?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:10 pm Now that I look closer, home or custom on original type frames seems fairly obvious, especially since small nuts and bolts were used rather than rivets. Curious, John, what holds the roller mechanisms in place between the hoops on those two?
They were soldered on.

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

If you look at all the rollers on the rod they are all put on with nuts and machine screws no rivets. John Taylor
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Interesting. The two between the red chair and the camera look a little different than the end three. I guess the blurred focus out there makes the bolt heads tough to decipher.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

54bullseye wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:25 am Well last night I answered my own question. Also a fellow on Alan Tani's site made same evaluation. I was cleaning the guides up and they look home or custom made and adapted to original Allan guides bases. Very nicely done and I think a great idea. JT
Can someone post a link to “Alan Tani’s site” mentioned above? Thanks.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:42 pm Interesting. The two between the red chair and the camera look a little different than the end three. I guess the blurred focus out there makes the bolt heads tough to decipher.
Good eyes !! One rod has the same big double rollers all the way up the other has same style guide frames but the top roller is only like a small piece of tubing or pipe instead of an actual roller !! They still roll though. I have other rods with both those different style guides. JT
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Mike N wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:56 pm
54bullseye wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:25 am Well last night I answered my own question. Also a fellow on Alan Tani's site made same evaluation. I was cleaning the guides up and they look home or custom made and adapted to original Allan guides bases. Very nicely done and I think a great idea. JT
Can someone post a link to “Alan Tani’s site” mentioned above? Thanks.

Mike N.
Alan Tani's site doesn't have as much on vintage reels as ORCA but it has a lot of tutorials on reel repair and hot rodding reels. There are sections on vintage tackle as well. There are a lot of members and lots of different subjects touched on and a lot of activity !! https://alantani.com/index.php
John Taylor