12/0 Fin-Nor "G" model mounted on Har-Lee rod

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

12/0 Fin-Nor "G" model mounted on Har-Lee rod

Post by 54bullseye »

Well you probably saw on for sale or wanted that I was looking for a butt and reel seat to fit an old Har-Lee "Wedgeport" rod I have had for a few years. I got digging around in some older big game fiberglass rods I had and came up with a pretty good fit. I had to file a "V" to match rods male ferrule but that's it.

I had an old Fin-Nor 12/0 "G" model double handle reel from the late 1930s that looks a little rough but works great so I loaded it up with line and mounted it on the Har-Lee rod.

I was very happy that the patina on the old rod, the new butt section and reel seemed to match nicely !! If you notice the handles on the reel have a goldish tint and the reel looks silver. Notice the picture of just the reel and you can see the reel's original color near the center of the spool just below the line level. I believe this reel has spent a lot of time and use both in saltwater and sun and that the anodizing has faded to silver ! Perhaps the aluminum on the handles shafts took the anodizing better than reel it self ?

I also wanted to add that the rods wood just above butt wrap measures just over 1 1/8" square so it's a heavy duty rig. Guides are early Allan double rollers and tip is a # 32. I am not sure of wood type ??

Enjoy !! John Taylor

1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Re: 12/0 Fin-Nor "G" model mounted on Har-Lee rod

Post by 1badf350 »

Wow that a giant beauty!
-Chris R.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That's a great match, John! That rod is way cool!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Love that combo, John! What a bruiser of a rod ! Have you broken down the reel?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

john elder wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:19 pm Love that combo, John! What a bruiser of a rod ! Have you broken down the reel?
John when I got the reel there was no free spool at all and drag was stuck !! After taking it apart around 10 times and cleaning / re lubing I finally figured it out. From sitting in oil and grease so long the drag washer you will see pictured had swollen up and when I would put everything back together it was just to tight ! I took complete drag plate out and hit it lightly with my orbital pad sander and after doing that 2 or 3 times all went back together smooth and finally worked smooth again !! Now it has nice free spool and drag adjusts tight and loose and slips perfectly ! JT

Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice! Going to pair you up with my Elder and his lathe and hold on! Imagine what you guys will come up with! Beautiful outfit John…as usual! Nice seeing the early 12-0 double handles finally being appreciated and properly displayed! Tight lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha! I remember when i first discovered grease drags for Penn reels and i got the bright idea to use the drag grease on my standard Daiwa drag washers! They swelled up 3x and froze the reel solid! I’m guessing a similar thing happened with your reel, john! Congrats! Nice save!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Extremely nice. Great combo - now all you need is Pilar.