Complete Newbie in every facet of this topic

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
texbear
Big ORCA Fan

Complete Newbie in every facet of this topic

Post by texbear »

So here it goes,
Newbie here. I am interested in repairing reels as a hobby. I have no experience working on reels and would like to know how someone gets started. I have some mechanical ability as I have worked on cash registers, tinkered with dirt bikes and electro-mechanical devices. So here are my questions to start out.
Do you just find old reels at flea markets and start working on them?
Do you look for certain brands of reels to start the process of reel repair?
Are there books available that will give some direction for an ignorant newbie?
Am I even asking the right questions?
The one thing I have done is I purchased a J.C. Higgins reel to restore. I know it isn’t worth much but I just love the look of the reel and thought it would make a cool shelf decoration. So this will be my first step into the water.
Thanx for any and all info that will be shared
Texbear
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Complete Newbie in every facet of this topic

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Books available in ORCA library on reel repair
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

First, get a good set of screw drivers with hollow ground tips. The slots on many reel screws are sometimes really slim.
Buy reels where you can. Lots of web venues available. Maybe pick a style or particular maker you like an stay there at first.
It's easy to get overwhelmed with soo many reels afoot!
Mostly, enjoy!
texbear
Big ORCA Fan

Post by texbear »

Jonathan P. Kring wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm Books available in ORCA library on reel repair
Now I see the books. I wasn't logged in when I went to the store the first time. I was logged into the forum but not the ORCA site.
texbear
Big ORCA Fan

Post by texbear »

klonder wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:21 pm First, get a good set of screw drivers with hollow ground tips. The slots on many reel screws are sometimes really slim.
Buy reels where you can. Lots of web venues available. Maybe pick a style or particular maker you like an stay there at first.
It's easy to get overwhelmed with soo many reels afoot!
Mostly, enjoy!
I will begin looking for a set of screw drivers. Thanx for the info. I am starting on that JC Higgins reel this weekend.
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Pictures of ur progress whould be welcomed.
texbear
Big ORCA Fan

Post by texbear »

klonder wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:32 pm Pictures of ur progress whould be welcomed.
That I can do,
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Welcome to ORCA! We 100% need more reel repairers out there!

Chapman gunsmithing screwdriver set ... you'll never go wrong. Vibrasonic tank.

Search these two key words on this site for more information.

-- Dr. Todd
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Practice on inexpensive reels first and see if you can make them look better, not worse. Take good photos as you take the reel apart. Stay away from buffing wheels and vise grips. The use of force usually ends badly. Keep solvents away from plastic parts. Keep it fun, because you probably won’t earn a living at it.
texbear
Big ORCA Fan

Post by texbear »

Well I took apart my first old reel and cleaned it up a bit. It was in pretty good shape when I got it but I did disassemble and clean and lubed. You can't tell from the pics but it does look a lot better. And it sounds much better.
Didn't know if I would enjoy this as a new hobby but I think I am "hooked". I really enjoyed tinkering with the old reel. I don't fish,except when we vacation in Arkansas but I may take this out to the local bayou and see how it works. I am looking for my next project.
BEFORE

AFTER

Pardon the poor pics, I am not in any way a photographer.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Another old reel saved! Good job. It makes you wonder how watchmakers do it, right?
texbear
Big ORCA Fan

Post by texbear »

Amen to that. As I get older things get harder to see and harder to remember where they go. Thank the good Lord above for cell phones with cameras.
Any ideas on what old reels are fun to work on, and easy on the budget. Like I mentioned above about the only time I fish is when we go to Arkansas. We stay on the White River and I bank fish for trout. I think I would like to collect, refurb and use some old ultra-light reels but don't really have an idea what would be worth pursuing.
Phil
Advanced Board Poster

Welcome!

Post by Phil »

Welcome to this hobby! I’m no expert, but here’s a couple thoughts.
- I second the Chapman screwdriver set. You need the right bit or you mess up old screws.
- Buy the old reels you used growing up and fix them like new.
- Abu Cardinals and Mitchell 308’s still fish great. Abu’s are getting a little spendy now. Buy low, fix them, sell high or fish them.
- Be careful buying old reels that are missing parts. Some are available (on this site) but lots aren’t.
- I get a kick out of 100 yr old reels. Most work great after just a clean and lube. Check out old Meisselbachs and pflueger casting reels. Most are inexpensive and easy to repair.
- Buy yourself a few books here at Orca.
- Have fun!
Phil