Medina Show Reel Find - 1862!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Medina Show Reel Find - 1862!

Post by Bill Muth »

Picked up this neat old brass reel at the Medina, MN show. F.L. Marvin or F.C. Marvin - 1862 engraved on the back plate, about 1 13/16" in diameter. The knurled lever on the back plate is a brake (did not see it in a quick scan through Professor Vernon's book). The turned top post is downright sexy. Any ideas on maker?

Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Medina Show Reel Find - 1862!

Post by RonG »

Hey Bill,

That's a great reel. I don't know who made it, but I like it. :shock:

P.S. Please don't refer to reel parts as sexy. :lol: I like to use the phrase "Wow, that's cool as _____!"
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bill, that's what's known in the trade as a humdinger! That sexy pillar spins, right? To prevent grooving by the line? Kind of a reel version of pole dancing? Are we going to see the reel guts? Any chance the grasp was replaced...or is replaceable? That screw looks suspicious.

You wouldn't expect to see a brake like that in the book because:
1. The brake wasn't patented, or
2. The brake was patented before 1836, or
3. The reel wasn't made in the U.S., or
4. The author never saw anything like it

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

What a great find! The engraving and pillar knurling just add such a touch of class. Always a treat to find an unexpected reel at a small tackle show. I guess it is “still out there.” Congrats, Bill.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

That sexy pillar spins, right? To prevent grooving by the line? Kind of a reel version of pole dancing? Are we going to see the reel guts? Any chance the grasp was replaced...or is replaceable? That screw looks suspicious
1. The sexy pillar does not spin, it is stationary.
2. I will disassemble the reel and show the innards when I get a chance.
3. I think the handle may be a replacement. One other collector thinks it may have started its life as a ball handle reel.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Always a treat to find an unexpected reel at a small tackle show. I guess it is “still out there.”]
Medina is no small show. Approximately 200 tables and nearly 1,000 attendees came through the door for a one-day, 5-hour show. It's a sporting collectibles show that is lure-heavy, with good representation from the decoy and advertising worlds. Reel selection was limited. It was the best kind of chaos.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bill Muth wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:00 pm
Always a treat to find an unexpected reel at a small tackle show. I guess it is “still out there.”]
Medina is no small show. Approximately 200 tables and nearly 1,000 attendees came through the door for a one-day, 5-hour show. It's a sporting collectibles show that is lure-heavy, with good representation from the decoy and advertising worlds. Reel selection was limited. It was the best kind of chaos.
So true, Bill. It has to be one of the bigger shows in the upper midwest. I've often wondered why they don't just go ahead and make it a weekend event.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Cool reel ...the engraving sends it over the top !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

WOW! What a neat little reel. Love the inscription and date. Great find Bill!! Thanks for sharing.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Congratulations on a great find Bill. Thanks for sharing, its always great to see other peoples field finds.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Great score, Bill! I’m anxious to see a gut shot. Looks really UK to me… many in Turner’s book come close but none identical, even ignoring that fancy pillar. I was wondering if the pillars are threaded on both ends with left hand threads on one end and right hand on the other. If so, might that be indicative of Euro origin?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

It's probably a common name but the most prominent F.C. Marvin of that time period seems to be a coal dealer in Buffalo NY. Maybe thats someplace to start looking?