Bamboo rod and reel combos

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
jhow
Big ORCA Fan

Bamboo rod and reel combos

Post by jhow »

I was given a dozen or so rods and reels. Have 2 old bamboo rods with reels in particular that are heavy saltwater fishing combos. I'm looking to find their value, clean them up and sell them.

Thanks,
Jason
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Bamboo rod and reel combos

Post by kyreels »

Welcome Jason. I suggest you post photos on this board using the instructions listed here Image Posting Instructions

You can find lots of info on the Cleaning and Restoration forum. However, be careful, you can easily ruin the value of any item if you don't carefully follow the instructions.

You can read some info on valuing tackle here Reel Value
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Welcome! Need pics and/or any writing there might be on the reels and rods and mAybe we can help. You can send me pics via the email button if you have trouble posting.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

If they are Tycoon rods they might have some collector appeal. Condition condition condition.
If they have saltwater corrosion, loose wraps, broken/ repaired sections, delaminations, bad varnish, or significant bends they might not be worth very much.
jhow
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jhow »

Thank you for your replies!
I examined the rods and reels closer and took photos hoping to show condition of each and all identifying information.
These are both 5' 6" Bamboo 2-Pc Deep Sea Fishing Rods and Reels.

I've taken 5 photos of each rod/reel as they are.

1) The first reel is marked Ocean City Model 143 (Made in Philadelphia USA) with a Bamboo rod that has "Chesapeake" in gold colored script. Both the rod and reel seem to be in good working and visual condition to my novice eye.

2) The second reel is marked Ocean City MFG CO BAY CITY patented (Made in USA) with a Bamboo rod that has "Genuine Tonkin Bamboo #10800" in gold colored script. I'm not sure if the model # is right. It, as well as the Logo are fairly worn)
The reel seems to be in good working and visual condition. Sadly, the rod is much more worn than the rod in the first combo.

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Rods and reels are all common tackle from the 1930's or 1940's. The rods are possibly Montague as they were often sold together with Ocean City reels. Not much value possibly $40 to $50 for all if you find an interested collector.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food