Still some good finds on the Bay

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Still some good finds on the Bay

Post by Eric J »

This Style B showed up on Ebay last week with a
“make offer” option so I offered $75 and they bit.

Disassembled it today and cleaned it with mineral spirits, and relubed it. Spins like new now, drag and click both work as they should. This is #962 and the stamp is parallel with the foot with no B stamp underneath. The next earliest one in my records is #912 B and is stamped (as all previous are) perpendicular to the foot. The next Style B on my list is #1006 also stamped parallel with no B stamp and I assumed the change occurred at #1000, but this would indicate a change in the serial number stampings at around #950.
The double long white knobs didn’t occur until 1910, so this 1904 version had it’s crank handle replaced in the distant past. The twin screws are perfect (they are often found badly marred up from not meshing the gears properly when reassembling) and all the screw heads were nice. A little pitting and brassing, but overall a nice one to add to the collection.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Still some good finds on the Bay

Post by kyreels »

Nice find.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Still some good finds on the Bay

Post by Mike N »

Those early Shakespeare reels are the epitome of fine design and machining. The level wind worm drive is a classic. Glad you saved it.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990