Anyone have a Yawman & Erbe parts reel??

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Anyone have a Yawman & Erbe parts reel??

Post by john elder »

I was recently gifted a Yawman & Erbe automatic fly reel in “kit” form with a few of the parts missing. I had never played around with one before, so it has been an interesting reconstruction/learning experience. It was missing a passel of tiny screws, the “wind up key” , and the lever that applies a brake and allows control with just one pinkie. I made the screws and a nut to replace the wind-up key, which seems to be a misnomer as it simply tightens down the mechanism that controls the spring and doesn't wind up anything. A thorough cleaning and lube seems to have everything working but i still don’t have the finger operated brake that acts on the back plate. Any chance someone has one to spare and/ or has the reel to show me how it should behave? Thanks in advance!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Anyone have a Yawman & Erbe parts reel??

Post by Paul M »

I presume you have the middle size reel of the 3 sizes. Here is a side view image of the finger brake spring assembly from a larger H&I version. You could make a brake pad by wrapping half a dozen or so turns of fly line wrapped tightly around the lever and glued in place but the lever and spring is the harder part to find.

FWIW on mine the winding key does indeed wind up the internal spring but can’t see inside the can to tell you how it works.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Paul. It will be a good exercise to make that part, so thinkbi’ll try. When time permits, can you show me details of that winding mechanism? On mine, the shaft above the free/auto adjustment is just a threaded end… it can only tight down on those threads and push in on the mechanism. I don’t see a way it can wind up the spring by turning.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

https://reelsnlures.com/yawman-erbe-fishing-reels/
I have some closeup photos of one on my website at the above link. When I worked on this one, I had a hard time getting it to work correctly. It turns out that the some of the coils in the spring were stuck together. Letting it soak to de-grease it solved the problem.

The spring is wound up by pulling the fishing line (if there was one). Otherwise you have to hold the foot and turn the reel spool by hand.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

That is exactly what i’m experiencing with this reel, Ron. And yes, it was totally constipated until i soaked it in parts cleaner, then mineral spirits. Works great now… i just need that trigger!

I figure another 6 hours work and i’ll have a boffo, shiny 20 buck reel!

:D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I found it to be an interesting reel and fun to explore.