"Chas Farlow Maker" - Multiplying, Folding Handle Salmon Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

"Chas Farlow Maker" - Multiplying, Folding Handle Salmon Reel

Post by reeltackle »

So here is an interesting reel 4 3/8 inch salmon reel from across he pond. The reel is marked "Chas. Farlow Maker" which, according to Graham Turner's book, dates its manufacture somewhere between 1852 and 1884. The reel has a 2 to 1 multiplying gear box, a caged arbor and a folding handle knob.

I posted the reel yesterday on a site frequented by many English collectors and so far no one has seen another like it. So what say you men of ORCA, has anyone seen a Farlow similar to this before?

The reel is in great condition, the last picture was shot close-up and distorts the reel a bit, it is not lopsided.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: "Chas Farlow Maker" - Multiplying, Folding Handle Salmon Reel

Post by Paul M »

That’s a WOWSER!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Anon, may we see the sole of the foot? It looks like a foot Kopf would make much later. Also, do you think the crank length is adjustable? (Remove the crank screw, shorten the crank, replace the crank screw through the long slot in the crank?) Or is that slot just to decrease weight?
If the multiplying reel be reprehensible in Trout fishing, it is absolutely useless where Salmon is the object...
(Geo. C. Bainbridge, The Fly Fisher's Guide, London: 1816, p. 71)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Tremendous. Why doesn't every handle fold? I like that on all my fishing reels.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow is right. Very cool reel.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Yeah, when you think you've seen it all, a new one pops up. I like the design of the side plates that make you think it can spin up like a fan.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Just a classic. The British engraving of that period is the epitome of craftsmanship.

I agree with Matt: we need more folding handles; but we also need more script engraving.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Steve wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:46 pm Anon, may we see the sole of the foot? It looks like a foot Kopf would make much later. Also, do you think the crank length is adjustable? (Remove the crank screw, shorten the crank, replace the crank screw through the long slot in the crank?) Or is that slot just to decrease weight?
If the multiplying reel be reprehensible in Trout fishing, it is absolutely useless where Salmon is the object...
(Geo. C. Bainbridge, The Fly Fisher's Guide, London: 1816, p. 71)
Mr. Pie, the foot is Kopf like but that style foot, as we know, is not unique to Kopf (picture below). The handle is fixed and your assumption about it being cut out to reduce the weight is correct Sherlock.

Some of the more astute English collectors speculate that it was made by Heaton, they all wish to attribute it to someone other than Farlow for some reason. Yes, no one has seen a Farlow reel like this before, however, no one has seen a reel like this by any other maker either .... so, why not Farlow as marked? Its not like a reel like this was beyond their capacity to manufacture.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So neat! One thing that strikes me as odd is that the spokes on the side plates are odd; ie, there are 7 spokes. Everything i have is made as an even count for gaps in the skeleton or other type reel side plate. I wonder if that might be a signature… have not combed Turner or other books to look for more.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Well, the reel was originally posted on Antique Fishing Tackle Facebook page, which I am one of the moderators.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 7463994074

The reason that most people think that it's Heaton is that Farlow's did not employ any reel makers un till the early 1900's at an off-site workshop in Croydon, a south London borough. The Billiken was one of the first reels they made there and the building still exists. I did visit at one time but no tackle was found as it has changed hands a few times and is now a printer. I did chat with a caretaker who gave me a potted history.

Prior to that, they bought in or had reels manufactured for them, especially those made in brass.

The date of the reel narrows down the number of companies capable of making brass reels.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I'll defer to Stefan and Roger Still on this as they know far better than I.

That being said, with what I have observed, there were no examples of technical prowess coming from Farlow as early as this example. Reels marked Farlow from that period (that I am aware of) were simple, fairly pedestrian, brass reels, usually nicely engraved. It wasn't until Farlow started making their own reels, which seem to have been reels of alloy, that they began to make improvements in house. Unlike Hardy, who made most of what they sold, Farlow seems to have brought in many items.

None of this diminishes the reel in any way. It is what it is ...as is too often said. The reel is older than dirt and cooler than cool. Given Farlow's stature as a premier tackle house, and assuming the reel was made on contract, they no doubt engaged a respected maker at the top of their craft.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/