Unused Garcia 5000x

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Gpaints
Big ORCA Fan

Unused Garcia 5000x

Post by Gpaints »

Hello I recently ran across a extremely nice unused Garcia 5000x at my dads. He inherited it and just had it on the shelf. It’s original box with small scuffs. All original contents I believe from new. I’m thinking 1962 ish. Looking for some more info and possible value of this reel. It will be going for sale eventually. Thanks and appreciate any help.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Unused Garcia 5000x

Post by john elder »

Not a Garcia guy so the “x” is throwing me. Is this a baitcaster or spinning reel? Pics??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Gpaints
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gpaints »

Trying to add pics thought I did earlier.
Gpaints
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gpaints »

Gpaints
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gpaints »

Gpaints
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gpaints »

Gpaints
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gpaints »

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Fred Ribb might be able to give you a ball park idea. It's from the mid '60s. The X stands for "extra spool" that's in that tube and came with it. I don't think there's anything special about the reel other than the "X" factor. I doubt many complete sets have survived over the last 60 years.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by piscesman »

Mitchell produced "X" boxed reels circa 1960's - 70's. They usually command a premium because fewer were produced compared to just reels in regular boxes. I believe the red X boxes were produced less than the black color ones. Your Garcia only is the only one I have seen in 35+ years of collecting. I would have to check my Garcia Annuals to see if they offered them for sale and ask on a different fishing site. Beautiful...........
Kim :fished
I collect Mitchell reels & Garcia products. Always looking for more.....