Caliper check spring fun

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Caliper check spring fun

Post by klonder »

Posted an ISO in FS about this broken Cozzone 60 check spring and Dr.John kindly replied with something that may work. While waiting for the doc's contribution, I couldn't help my self from puttering about with possibilities.
I fell upon the fact the those keyring rings are somewhat "springie" and should the replacement
not work, I have a next step and will be heating up the iron! Sure helps to have the right tool!

klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Caliper check spring fun

Post by klonder »

So JB Welded the key ring piece to the spring but it popped right off not holding to the spring. Turns out the key ring is much too stiff to use anyway. Back to the drawing board.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I’m coming! I’m coming!…. Just got delayed. Will also include some spring wire!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

john elder wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:15 am I’m coming! I’m coming!…. Just got delayed. Will also include some spring wire!
J
Ha! No hurry John. Just thought I'd post ruminations, progress, trial and error,in this case error, and hopfully " the fix"!
I do love "the pudder"!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

The springs on those Cozzone fly reels are brittle. They don't bend like like spring steel ! They snap like pretzels !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

reelsmith. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 am The springs on those Cozzone fly reels are brittle. They don't bend like like spring steel ! They snap like pretzels !
Dean.
Indeed they do!!
Wilst chipping off the small bits of remaining JBWeld, this happended. Didn't know it at first. Interesting to see that it snapped 180 from the first break. A least there's a consistancy in the wear/tear and material here!
John's most welcome contributions to the cause have landed(thanks John) but the included springs were all too small being 3/4". Bummer!
However, he included a selection of spring wire as well, so hope abounds!!
A question....do I need to "temper" the wire after re shaping? Like 300 for an hour?
Thanks
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I wouldn’t. Just bend to shape needed and go for it. You would typically make a “square taco” out of thin brass sheet and cut to width of the piece needed to attach to the reel. Bend the wire near to proper shape , center it in the taco and pinch flat. I usually solder in place in the taco. Drill holes and mount.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Shaped up, cleaned and roughed up and ready for the torch!
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

A decidedly utilitarian solder job but holding nicely. Originally intended to solder the entire spring but on second thought, concluded it best to leave well enough alone! Now to mount, mark, dismount, cut, remount! Easy. Like riding a bike.
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

That French word!!
The fix is in and works fine, even though I cut one side a tad too short.
Best laid plans... but a fine rainy morning endeavor.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:bow:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

klonder wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:08 am Posted an ISO in FS about this broken Cozzone 60 check spring and Dr.John kindly replied with something that may work. While waiting for the doc's contribution, I couldn't help my self from puttering about with possibilities.
I fell upon the fact the those keyring rings are somewhat "springie" and should the replacement
not work, I have a next step and will be heating up the iron! Sure helps to have the right tool!

Your project reminded me of this rebuild:

viewtopic.php?p=111043&hilit=Chamberlain#p111043
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Hooray and congrats! Always good to see a good reel back ready for action.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024