Style B clean-up

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Style B clean-up

Post by Eric J »

This is the Shakespeare Style B I picked up from the Bay a few weeks ago for $75. I thought it would be a good parts reel for that price.

I’ve cleaned it up, and think it had some sort of smoke damage. Some wooden boat rash and a little brass showing on the high spots, but now it spins like a whirling dervish. Too good to part out. All parts are original and correct except the handle was replaced at some point many years ago (it should have a single white grip for the serial number) so if anyone has one they’d like to trade please let me know!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Style B clean-up

Post by john elder »

“A single white grip for the serial number”?? Eric, do you just need a counterbalanced handle?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Yes John, the correct one would be the dog-legged counterbalanced crank with the bulbous looking white knob. Like this:
If you’ve got one to sell I’d pay you what you need for it plus shipping. Then I wouldn’t feel like I had to hide it in a drawer 😃
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha! Well, i guess my style B is wrong as well because it has that same double grasp handle as yours! … offered as option? In any event, i have this one… does not have that screwed CB like you show but shape looks right:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

The double white cranks are correct in the #4600 range from 1910. Mine is #962.
The crank in your photo was used on the 1910 Precision reels.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Great job of restoring Eric. Beautiful reel.