300 GENUINE OLD RELIABLE CUTTY HUNK AM. REEL CO.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Thehorseman
Big ORCA Fan

300 GENUINE OLD RELIABLE CUTTY HUNK AM. REEL CO.

Post by Thehorseman »

I thought I would ask all the talents in this group. I got this $5 reel today . It’s a 300 GENUINE OLD RELIABLE CUTTY HUNK AM. REEL CO. First one I have seen. My question is are they rare and are they worth more than the $5. It works like it was purchased today. Good size reel too. Very cool handle .Looking for any input please.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: 300 GENUINE OLD RELIABLE CUTTY HUNK AM. REEL CO.

Post by Steve »

Can we assume that "AM." is an abbreviation of "American?" For what it's worth, the only American Reel Co. I'm aware of was the Indianapolis company that was founded on Jan. 6, 1882, which sold the Ohaver/O'Bannon 10x multiplier. But that was around for only a couple of years, and their reel was made by Terry Clock.

So? Cuttyhunk deserves its own writeup in Reel News. I have to plead ignorance. I'm stumped by this reel's stamping, and it almost makes me wonder if the "AM." is a "typo" for "MA.", where Cuttyhunk Island is. The rear buttons have a hint of Hendryx, but we need more pics taken from various angles. Could Terry have made it? But then there are always possibilities like Edwin Judge. I've seen this reel before, so it probably isn't too uncommon. Maybe someone else can provide better info.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Horseman, I have this reel in my Hendryx saltwater reel collection and I assume it was made for the American Reel Co. I have seen half a dozen of these reels in the last 20 years.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I felt that AM might be a shortened version of America Meek. The handle knob matches their style. I am groping here.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

BILL HOERTER wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:13 pm Horseman, I have this reel in my Hendryx saltwater reel collection and I assume it was made for the American Reel Co. I have seen half a dozen of these reels in the last 20 years.
Bill, I thought Hendryx also, based on the click and drag buttons, maybe handle.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Hendryx made some roughly-similar reels, but, as mentioned above, we need to see more pictures.

We can't tell anything about the height of the Cuttyhunk rear buttons. And H did make some oil caps like the one on the Cuttyhunk headplate. But the shape of the arbor shoulders where the spool flanges are attached, often a dead giveaway, don't look like Hendryx. Hendryx shoulders are normally concave, like the drawing, but the Cuttyhunk shoulders are convex. You would think that even if a company is modifying things to make a contract reel, it's not going to bother altering its flange-attachment design.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Thehorseman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Thehorseman »

Thanks for your responses. Still doing some searching