Another Shakespearian Mystery

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Another Shakespearian Mystery

Post by Eric J »

Here’s a Shakespeare Ideal, with a serial number of 413 on the foot of a 1912 Model that has poorly struck ‘Shakespeare’ on the faceplate that is not just worn off because the nickel plating is otherwise intact. I’m not aware of others from this model that are serial numbered. The foot pillars are similar to Marhoff’s, but by 1912 the Marhoff would be in the 4,000 range of numbers. Could it be a Mahoff foot that was supposed to be numbered 413X and wasn’t numbered right and just used on an Ideal, or where the Ideals numbered? If they were numbered, why?, when the Standards and Professionals were not?
Did the 1912 Ideals use foot pillars similar to the Marhoffs?
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Another Shakespearian Mystery

Post by leland99 »

Eric, very interesting observations. I checked my information on my Shakespeare reels but could find nothing to add to your discussion. Thanks for sharing this, will keep my eyes open.
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Well I did learn that the early Ideals used the same foot pillars as the Marhoff, at least that is how it is shown in the catalogs. In the 1920’s they were changed to straight bars.
It could have been a Shakespeare Company lunchbox special made up from discarded parts.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

So this Shakespeare Kalamazoo 1962 showed up on the auction site last week, and it is serialized. My other 1912 Model Kalamazoo 1962 is identical in every respect except it is marked “100 YDS” where this one is stamped with a serial number.
It couldn’t be a replacement foot from a Marhoff, because by 1912 the Marhoff was already in the #4000 range and then they stopped serializing them in the same 1912 Model run.
Does anyone else have a 1912 Model that is serialized?
Seems strange that this Kalamazoo #2128 and Ideal #413 are the only two that I’ve ever seen that are serialized. Style A’s, B’s, C’s, and early Marhoffs sure, but never any other Shakespeare reels.