Mansfield Dependon

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Mansfield Dependon

Post by Jim Madden »

This is the Mansfield Dependon with obviously the wrong handle nut. I need some help finding the nut but have no idea who made the reel. I understand that H and I bought the company, but I don't see anything that points to H.I. The reel is highly chromed and the knurled pawl cover actually screws on the carriage. A set screw tightens the pawl into the grooves of the worm gear. 1925 Shakespeare end caps fit, but I haven't found a SP handle nut that does, and the SB screwdriver doesn't fit the screws snugly like they do with SP. The small LW gear is not removable. The detailed LW cover on the tail plate may help. If I knew who made the reel, I might be able to find a cap. It's too nice to throw in a parts drawer. I hope to be checking in more than I have in the past. Retired life is busier than m working days. Jim
Desperately seeking SB reel #100A, a #600 box. JMadden
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: just a pic test

Post by john elder »

Interesting reel, Jim! I have assorted caps so maybe i can put together a group for you to test. Are those end caps SP that you added or do you think they were always that style?

Jon, i can almost always get my camera pics to post by just cutting off toes and other crap that’s around the object in the pic. You can easily do this using the preview tool bar… crop the crap!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

John, that's a just a temporary hardware cap with two washers beneath it. I tried the SP handle nut from the same 1925 reel where I got the end cap that fit, but it wasn't even close to fitting. I'm not very knowledgeable about threading types, but the screw ridges were far apart, and the nut must have been fairly deep. If the reel predates H.I., one would suspect Montague as a maker, but those handle nuts are usually screw-in in my experience. The collar under the handle is tapered and the level wind worm gear sleeve is round and running through the carriage, and the foot is unmarked. The black grips look SP, but I've never seen that style removable. I'll try a few more random caps before I ask for help. Who would make such reel? Thanks, Gents, for the help with the pictures.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

This is a stumper. It's so different that it might have been made for sale through Mansfield by some company in Canada? Look familiar, Paul? Bronson made a "Dependon" model for a tackle company in Canada, but it's nothing like your reel.
Mark
Last edited by wrong99 on Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Mansfield Dependon

Post by Brian F. »

Jim M's post

Mon May 09, 2022 2:27 pm
I think Terry is correct. I viewed a Lawson #46 and the level wind is similar in some ways but not totally definitive. The only Lawsons I have seen are aluminum. That handle nut, though, is a very deep one too. I think the Canadian connection my be correct.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Sorry.... MARK may be correct. Thanks, Mark, and Brian for helping with the posting. I'll look for a beater Lawson handle cap. Had a wonderful time in your neck of the ocean, Brian. I still remember your seminar on the long distance surf casting. Incredible!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

No prob, Jim. Hope you get help with the handle.

The seminar in 2005 at Columbia Lakes was fun but the long distance part was all Big Lou :D
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I don’t recognize this reel. The handle and nut are indeed similar to the aluminum reels by Lawson in Montreal and the clones in Burlington,VT. The Lawson/Burlington line guide has similarities but is quite crude in comparison to this reel. Lawson level winds (‘46, ‘47, diamond logo and early models) didn’t have removable bearing caps at all. The reeded style caps and grasp shape are similar to reels made by Branson in Peterborough, ON Canada (that coincidentally look like they were made by Bronson, MI). The brand name Dependon was owned by Henry Wilkes & Co Ltd of Toronto that became Canada Needle and Fishing Tackle Co Ltd (CNFT) but was only used on Lures as far as I know. Another possibility is that sometime in the 1960’s Horrocks Ibbotson’s Grimsby Ontario Division became in some way connected to a successor to CNFT possibly explaining the use of Dependon but the company name was Tackle and Lures Ltd in Beamsville ON Canada so the name and location are not a match to the Canton, Mass markings. In summary, I think all the Canadian connections are invalid coincidences.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006