Shakespeare Oldest Rod and Reel Contest

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Oldest Rod and Reel Contest

Post by Eric J »

I just bought a Hardy Featherweight from a gentleman in NY and I asked him about Shakespeare reels. He said Shakespeare held a “Oldest Shakespeare Rod & Reel” contest about 30 years ago and his family won with a rod & reel that had been in their Upper Peninsula cabin forever. His wife sent them to Shakespeare without asking him, and Shakespeare in return sent him a new rod and reel. He was not happy.
Does anyone remember this contest, or know what reel took first place?
30 years would have been just before their 100th anniversary, and Anthony Industries owned Shakespeare then.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Oldest Rod and Reel Contest

Post by Paul Roberts »

Ugh! That’s a sad story. Presumptive of Shakespeare, or the wife. Probably she didn’t know it would be an exchange. Hope he got the old rig back.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I received another email from the gentleman, and he said his (now ex) wife said the Shakespeare representative told her the reel was “one of the first 500 made, and Mr. Shakespeare made it on a jeweler’s lathe.”
So it was an early Style C.
It would seem there would be some information somewhere about this contest and the results, but I can’t find anything in national magazines from that period.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Shakespeare Oldest Reel Contest spring 1985

From the Feb 17, 1985 Tennessean

Detail from Bill Clay Sporting Goods ad Feb 17, 1985 Tennesean

Ad from Tampa Tribune Mar 14, 1985

There are others from California also.

Keepin' It Fun!
Colby
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Thanks Colby! Great job sleuthing this out. I guess 5K in 1985 was good compensation for that reel!