Pemco No. 55 Automatic Fly Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
DLancer7676
Big ORCA Fan

Pemco No. 55 Automatic Fly Reel

Post by DLancer7676 »

I have an automatic fly reel that I inherited from my father who used it back in the 1950's. On the side of the reel is printed "PEMCO" Perrine Mfg. Co. Patented, Minneapolis, Minn. Does anyone have any sort of printed or video information that shows how to disassemble this reel for cleaning and repair? I see how to depress a "keeper" which holds the spring side of the reel together, but am reluctant to open it, fearful that I will get a face full of spring. I shot some oil down into the gears through the retrieve lever and that really loosened the spool up, for both pulling line and retrieving.

But what I would like to address is that you are supposed to be able to turn the outer casing to wind the spring tighter, but the casing is REALLY difficult to turn. So, if I would not destroy the reel by opening this up and releasing the spring wildly, I'd like to get in there and find what is causing the winding casing to be so hard to turn.
DLancer7676
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Pemco No. 55 Automatic Fly Reel

Post by DLancer7676 »

I uploaded pictures but they did not transfer to my post.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Pemco No. 55 Automatic Fly Reel

Post by kyreels »

D,

Instructions for posting pictures are here: viewtopic.php?t=15596. The trick is after you upload you have to click the image tag to insert it into your post. You can also preview before you post to ensure the picture will show.

Here is an old 2106 thread on this reel: viewtopic.php?t=15596
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle