Sad news has come...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Sad news has come...

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

Dear Friends
unfortunately I have to tell you some sad news, last May 5th my friend and important collector Silvano Baraldi passed away.

As many friends know, Silvano has been a member of O.R.C.A. for several years and he is the author of 5 very important books on Italian production reels and has also given a strong impulse to the ANTIPES Association - National Association of Ancient Fishing Equipment Collectors - Italy.

In the past Silvano collaborated with the great Ben Wright, in fact, in Ben's books much of the information regarding Italian-made reels was provided by Silvano.
For some time now Silvano had decided that his books could be consulted but also downloaded (in PDF format) for free from the ANTIPES.it website.

I want to thank on behalf of All Collectors this wonderful Man, always courteous and helpful, the lack of him will be felt even more over time, leaving an unbridgeable void.

Ciao Silvano ... have a good trip.

Sergio Di Marco

Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Sad news has come...

Post by Teal »

Incredibly sad news indeed. The collecting community mourns his loss, and although his presence will be greatly missed, his contributions will never be forgotten. Rest in peace.

-- Dr. Todd
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So sorry to hear. Please offer condolences to friends and family.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Sad news that we've lost one of the great contributors to reel collecting.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Very sorry to hear this, Sergio. My sympathies to you.
Richard
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Very sad news to read! Silvano has been one of the great historical contributors to the open face spinning reel collecting family. RIP, Silvano, you will be definitly be missed but your contributions will live on to the benefit of future generations!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

That is sad news, yet grateful that Silvano shared his knowledge with us in a way that will be remembered by our worldwide collecting community.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Sorry to hear this new. But thanks for bringing it. Condolences to those who knew him. For me this news gives some perspective on the value of a single person’s efforts in life. The value of bridging the past with the future. And how many people can be touched. He will be missed, whether we knew him personally or not.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Silvano left quite a mark on vintage tackle history and will be missed. Sad news, indeed. Those are great photographs for all of us to remember him by. Condolences to his family.

Mike
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

In the next few days I will send to Silvano's family, Mrs. Nadia and to her sons Barbara and Carlo, all the photos in my possession relating to the many gatherings and events in which we spent so many carefree hours.
In the package I will add all the published posts, messages and emails I have received from many fans and collectors.

A sincere thanks from me and I conclude with a message that Silvano wanted it to be sent only after his death to all his closest friends: "Hello dear and good luck to all".
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Very sad news. We've all lost a big asset in the collecting community
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Sad news indeed I have met him on several occasions and he was a co-author of the first major book on Italian reels "Mulinelli da Pesca Italiani" along with Giullano Guidetti and my friend Giorgio Cavatorti.

RIP