Shakespeare Date Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mark Rose
Big ORCA Fan

Shakespeare Date Question

Post by Mark Rose »

I'm aware that up to and including 1924 Shakespeare indicated Criterion model intro on the bottom with a full 4 digit year, and that in 1926 it was converted to a 2 digit number, and subsequently in 1931ish to the 2 letter code. It seemed to me that I once read that the model with no indicator of model had been a circa 1925-26 transition between the 4 and the 2 digit syles, but cannot locate the article/discussion anymore. Can anyone provide any insight, and any link or direction to pursue?
Thnx.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Date Question

Post by Eric J »

I’m not sure about the Criterion’s in specific, but I’ve seen 31 31A and HK on reels, along with C1 and C2 stamped on the foot for 31 and 32. The 26 Models will sometimes have B9 stamped on the foot for 1929.
Mark Rose
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Mark Rose »

Eric J wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:37 pm I’m not sure about the Criterion’s in specific, but I’ve seen 31 31A and HK on reels, along with C1 and C2 stamped on the foot for 31 and 32. The 26 Models will sometimes have B9 stamped on the foot for 1929.
Thanks. I appreciate your reply.
Yes, I have also seen some additional stamps but am wondering about the unstamped version (specifically Criterion, but recognize that much of the date stamping seems to cross models and styles),
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Pictures please! There are other ways to date the reels. Does the undated reel have the oval Shakespeare logo? If so it would be 1926 or later. Does it have the LW journal cap? That would date it to 1932 or later. Does it have a counterbalanced handle? That was 1922-1924. Could the foot, which once might have had a date, have been replaced with a later undated foot? Those 1920’s riveted feet were notorious for loosening.
It is my experience that Shakespeare 1924’s continued to be marked the same until 1926, and I believe that is why Shakespeare had to resort to an alphabetical code in 1931, so the public didn’t think they were buying last year’s (or even older) models. The Great Depression may have also been a factor then with reduced demand but continued production resulting in reels they did not want date stamped, but still distinguishable when internal changes were made.
Mark Rose
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Mark Rose »

Certainly.
I appreciate your help.