Paw Paw Fishing Rod

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
GoneFishing97
Big ORCA Fan

Paw Paw Fishing Rod

Post by GoneFishing97 »

Hi,

I apologize if I overlooked a forum where this was already discussed as I am new to the website.

I have a Paw Paw Fishing Rod that I have been unable to find any information on. Ive reached out to a few different appraisers but haven’t had any luck.

There is some definite wear as it has been used, but it is still in sturdy shape. It is a steel/metal rod with unique eyelets going up the rod for the line; It has Paw Paw Bait Paw Paw Michigan written on one side of the handle, and patent applied for on the other side.

I do not know if this is a prototype or Paw Paw outsourced the rod, and I have no idea what to value it at.

I have not attached photos yet as I was uncertain whether I should put everything on the post before learning whether I posted in the right spot.

I know this is a forum more dedicated toward reels and bait, so please let me know if I posted in the wrong area or anything else that should be adjusted.

Thank you in advance.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Paw Paw Fishing Rod

Post by Mike N »

This thread allows any vintage fishing-related items.

I always like to see any Paw Paw items. Perhaps a photo of the label will help us date your rod.

Thanks.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
GoneFishing97
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GoneFishing97 »

Here are some photos. There are two eyelets like the one I photographed; the top eyelet is metal. I can take more photos if needed.

If there are any issues let me know; I was having trouble previewing the images.
Fishing Rod:

Handle

Back of the Handle/Patent Applied For

Eyelet:

Length:
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Thanks for the photos showing a Paw Paw rod. I looked over the photos of your bait casting rod, and like you said, it's in pretty rough shape. Based on the condition and desirability, it doesn't have much value. It would make a good "wall hanger" for decoration though. Also, I have not seen a metal rod like this marked "Paw Paw." I would guess it was made by True Temper or Horton Mfg. I doubt Paw Paw made the rod themselves.