Didn't Know He Fished...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Didn't Know He Fished...

Post by Eric J »

Howard Hill was the greatest archer of all time. He used a bow with draw pull of 115 lbs without any sign of struggle, and was the only white man to kill a bull elephant with an arrow. Lions too!
Longest shot at 390+ YARDS! Shot apples off of peoples heads at 60 yards, then did the same with smaller targets at longer distances. Shot aspirin out of the air. A Superman!
I learned about him from Bamboo rod builder Bob Summers who collects his bows.
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Gasp, could you imagine standing still while someone tried to shoot an apple on your head at 60 yards??! :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

To bring this back full circle, Howard Hill, known worldwide as a champion archer, also had an impact on big game fishing. Hill stated that, "Snakewood is the best material for making bows that I have ever worked with. The wood is even tougher than yew , just as fast, elastic and resilient, is not susceptible to heat or cold and has less harshness and vibration on the recoil." Based on Hill's assessment of the properties of snakewood Frank O'Brien, founder of Tycoon Tackle, decided to use snakewood as one of the three different types of wood that he would use in the manufacture of his top of the line big game fishing rod, the Bimini King. The Bimini King, which in its day was used to catch more world record fish than any other rod, was a five strip laminated rod with a center strip of Hickory flanked on either side with snakewood which, in turn, was flanked on either side with strips of bamboo.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Very interesting, Ed.

Snakewood is ranked as the 6th hardest wood in the world, with a Janka hardness rating of 3800 lbf.

https://www.hitchcockandking.co.uk/h-k- ... ods-world/
Last edited by Mike N on Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I recognized Howard Hill. Not surprised he brought a bow with him while fishing. I assume he slept with them too.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

OK, so its not quite big game fishing the way you would expect to see it. Bows and arrows instead of a gaffs ... but ... what would you expect from the quintessential Robin Hood actor and the champion archer of the day, Howard Hill? So here they are captured doing their version of deep sea fishing in this short titled The Cruise of the Zaca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xizsZRrE4

There is also a book chronicling the entire expedition with the same title with the premise being - Actor Errol Flynn takes a group of scientists from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography on an expedition to the South Seas aboard his schooner, The Zaca, which, if I'm not mistaken was Bogart's old boat the Santana.

Were you part of this expedition out of Scripps Dr. Elder? :roll:
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.