WHO MADE ME? 1970 Circa Big Game Rod

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
sea ghost
Frequent Board Poster

WHO MADE ME? 1970 Circa Big Game Rod

Post by sea ghost »

Greetings Fellow Fisherman of Orca Reels,

Does anybody know, recognize or have any info about this custom made Big Game Fishing Rod?

I bought It in EBAY from and older gentleman living in Land O'Lakes Florida, Tampa Bay area who had very little info,

The only info I have is that it most likely made in one of the custom shops in Florida in the early 1970's

the Rod is 7'3" with Heavy Action and has a Stuart Butt........you can also see it was made for Bruce Scholz

Thank You,
Skipper

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: WHO MADE ME? 1970 Circa Big Game Rod

Post by john elder »

You might have luck finding the shop/maker by posting on the tycoon tackle page on Facebook, since lots of rod folks go there. Looks like a nice stick with no miles. I don’t see anything about the wrap job or components used that would signal anything extra special about it.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Since Stuart Fishing Tackle was around from the late 1960s (I believe), I think it dates this rod to the 1970s or 1980s. Not too many big game custom rod makers in the region at that time, so might be able to pinpoint it by looking up the name of the rod owner and seeing what shops were in business near where he lived.

As an aside ran across this interesting post from the founder of Stuart Rods:

Here`s some history :Tycoon Finnor was originally in Miami and had moved next to Miami intl airport in the early 60s . Stayed there till about 1977. Then moved to Pembroke park (aka hollywood). At that time they were still owned by Henry Breyer who bought them back around 1962. He had Donna Wilcox (Weaver the Weatherman`s wife) running the company with her Daughter Debbie. Donna had been with the company for years as the exec secretary. When Henry bought the company and the principals left so Henry made Donna Top Gal boss in charge!! She was great with people and didn't know a dribble about what made the reels tick. Always a barrel of monkeys and laughs and she would tell you she knew nada. During those times the reels were top notch and completely hand built and assembled. Some difficult parts were given out to my company and a few other local machine shops. After Kraft bought Breyers Ice cream Henry sold the company to Mamia Camera and they became Japanese Owned. Time for another move of the company just a few miles away to Ravenswood Road aka Anglers Avenue in Hollywood by Outdoor World and the ground breaking of the IGFA Center. The AHAB came into existence or should I say that they shipped the parts in from Bangladesh that they had there camera factory building and they were just assembling. Nice heavy reels that you were dead if you needed parts at that time. They also became USSC (united sports specialty company) and mamia ran the company down the crapper. I had stayed on as a vendor but lost all respect for them and then I told them to shove it when I did not get paid. After they completly ruined it they Sold it to Rayford Trask aka Cape Fear Rods approx 1996. Great Guy, Great fisherman, and writer. Production stopped in the US and everything turned Ugly. He was not a factory guy to put it all together. Everything Stayed in tractor trailers for storage for about 10 years in NC. Since then it has been purchased by Zebco who is owned by a well known Barbecue MFG in Georgia. The newest product is very good. It is from China and closely overseen by a longtime friend of mine with lots of fishing reel mfg experence. that is the Hull Story

Copied the post from here:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishi ... -ahab.html

In case it gets deleted we'll have a record of it. Didn't know Fin-Nor was outsourcing parts.

-- Dr. Todd
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

I have a Nat Uslan rod from N Miami with the same Mildrum guide setup, but mine is branded with his name and trademark pentagram. He started making 5 sided bamboo fly rods, high quality, in upstate NY, then migrated to FL. At that time there was a surge in swordfishing, and I would suppose rod makers.
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bud Chaddock »

Looks like a Fenwick blank from that era. Very popular then.