Perfect Rescue

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Perfect Rescue

Post by john elder »

Many thanks go to ORCAn Tim Gelinas of Farlex Reels and Hardy expert, John Mackenzie for holding my hand through many of the operations and offering encouragement with minimal laughing.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Perfect Rescue

Post by Midway Tommy D »

John, your skills and patience never cease to amaze me! :bow: Wonderful craftsmanship! Metal or wood, it doesn't matter with you! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

WOW, I am really impressed ! I am still trying to master the Crescent Wrench ! :bow: John
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Wow, you're really stepping up your game. Nice looking reel.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Cheese and rice John! That is some real skill you’re showing even if you comment it out with anxiety. Are you planning to move to Kentucky and start a reel making business?
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, guys! I don’t think Kentucky would have me! However, i’m having a good time. I have a queue of other Imperfect Perfects to attend to, so maybe I’ll play around with some finishing techniques and see what comes. Meantime, i’ve almost completed a copy of the above wide body Perfect, making all the parts. I’m debating on whether to reproduce the hole pattern in the spool or go rogue and try to come up with something unique. Your thoughts and ideas welcome!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Just incredible! Next stop 9”Hardy Fortuna XXX wide spool with auxiliary brake! Fantastic work John
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

…and the patience! I’m sure your eyes are superior to mine. I’m relatively young compared to many other collectors but about the youngest at 19 when I started collecting! Today I can hardly tie a knot on the river let alone in the surf or on a boat with 15’ swells….
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow! Amazing work, John. Fascinating to see the process.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Johan A
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Johan A »

Good job John :bow:

You dont got a dividing head for such work ?

I normally have one set up all of the time in one of my milling machines .
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for you nice comments, guys! Johan, i have one but i’m embarrassed to say that i haven’t got around to setting it up. Would no doubt make my life much easier and hopefully during the long cold San Diego winter, i’ll get it done!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member