New project

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

New project

Post by Shootrj2003 »

Found a homeless surfmaster 200 today for $10 it followed me home,a little rough but salvageable.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: New project

Post by john elder »

Nice score! You can get him back on the water in no time! Typical acne in the Penn plating but a 1:3 vinegar/water soak will get rid of the scale and a soak with Balistol will get those plates back to life!

Be sure and share the”after”!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

Isaw many strange reels she’s sell stuff for a older gentlemen,she showed me pictures of a barn choc full of poles stacked in rows and fishing gear intackle boxes.one reel was an all aluminum Pflueger that almost looked handmade ,I forgot the model name ,that was on a black metal label affixed to the end where a modern rear drag would be.it had a flat chrome handle.one Mitchell spool that was only like 1 1/4” diameter,I’ve never seen a 308 first hand ,are they that small? Very tiny.Probably a collectors dream spot for parts-a few new old stock stuff in boxes,I was a bit short on cash this week,so I only got the Penn ,I was looking for a Mitchell 302 but there were only 300’s,last time I found a Mitchell salt water reel and case nos,still in a yellow factory box unused.I believe for a 302.
What is a “Kentucky style reel”?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, post like you did last time! I was able to fix your urls so the pics could post last time, but there was nothing there in your last post… better yet, check the posting directions at top of page!

— select pics
-“upload all”
- select the “regular url” option
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

There that’s better,I always had trouble listening to instructions!Most of all I really love the artwork that they put into the Penn reels in particular,but in general old things were simply made more beautiful,but the pictures on Penn reals were fantastic I would buy just those if I found them for the pictures,does anyone know who did the original art for the molds?
Last edited by kyreels on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix image linksimage tags
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

I bought a Baymaster 180 today chrome is good but not much drag and the bearings squawk when spun by hand.