Can anyone ldentify?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Can anyone ldentify?

Post by Ray Hencken »

A friend showed this reel to me and asked if I knew who made it. I have no idea on this one. With the exception of the spool which I believe is aluminum, the rest of the reel appears to be stainless steel. I thought it might be a one off made by a very competent machinist. Some of the parts have a gold or brass hue in the pictures, that is reflection. The entire reel is shiny silver. Any thoughts are appreciated.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Can anyone ldentify?

Post by john elder »

Ray, perhaps that finish is the product of time on a wire wheel and/or polisher??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Retropeche
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Retropeche »

I would hazard a guess that it is French or European continental and has had the original finish, or what was left of it removed then polished. There were dozens of small engineering companies who got involved in spinning reels in the 1940's. I will have a look through my books when I have more time
Regards, Clive

"I tread the paths where no one goes
and cast to fish nobody knows
"
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

I saw no hint or trace of any finish. If someone removed the original finish and then polished it without any evidence left behind then they did a heck of a job.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

“A” for Alcedo?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Shows a little French ancestry to my feeble eyes. I'm away from my Wright's Price Guide right now but I'll do a little research next week. I have a suspicion, though.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I went though Ben's last edition and couldn't find a match. Agree that it's similar to some French reels, but there are features also on some Italian and Spanish reels, too. This should be fun.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Retropeche
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Retropeche »

Ray Hencken wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:49 pm I saw no hint or trace of any finish. If someone removed the original finish and then polished it without any evidence left behind then they did a heck of a job.
Maybe A is for Acetone :D
Regards, Clive

"
Retropeche
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Retropeche »

I have checked Bernard Caminaud's books on French reels and it does not appear in either.
Regards, Clive

"