Penn Senator Bakelite sideplates

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
GloucesterGeorge
Big ORCA Fan

Penn Senator Bakelite sideplates

Post by GloucesterGeorge »

Hi guys, I have a question about older Penn Senators (4/0 and 6/0). These are not normally what I fish with or collect but I've run into a couple that need some TLC. Based on searching so far I'd guess they're from the 70s, though possibly a little earlier.

I saw the earlier bakelite restoration thread and it was a big help in helping me figure out how I could deal with the oxidation on the side plates. However, in reading up on bakelite in general, I learned that filler was added to the resin to strengthen it and make it easier to mold. From what I've gathered, this filler could be a lot of things, with wood flour being very common, but other materials, including asbestos, also being used.

Being a curious sort, does anyone know what filler Penn used in their bakelite? I'm really intrigued with this material, which I think is super cool. I'd also like to know if they ever used asbestos before I get to buffing... :lol:
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Penn Senator Bakelite sideplates

Post by m3040c »

I would be very surprised if it were not asbestos. From the 1930's to the 1960's, asbestos was used in everything. I do not believe that buffing it will release fibers. I would not want to grind it without wearing a HEPA filter respirator. If you are concerned with fiber release while buffing, get a HEPA filtered respirator. A good general rule of thumb, if you have the slightest feeling that you may be working with Asbestos Containing Material, treat it as if you know it has asbestos in it. That is always the safest way to go.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food