Latest Addition ...

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Latest Addition ...

Post by reelsmith. »

Latest addition from across the pond ...I had no idea who Smith was when I was bidding on it, I just love early medals and, well, Smith !

Michael Holroyd Smith (1847-1932) was a member of The Institute of Mechanical Engineers and associated with Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell. In addition to many patents and creating the first electric street tram in the UK (1885) he also designed and patented what is called "The Royd Patent Tournament Casting Threadline Reel" (1907).

In 1908 Smith took his reel to the 11th International Fly and Bait Casting Tournament, which was held in London at The Olympic Games. Smith took first place in the 3/16 ounce bait distance casting competition.

The reel pictured below is taken from Mullock's sale of a Royd reel in 2007. The listing said it was one of few Royd reels to have been seen and this example was purchased by a member of the consignor's family, from Smith, at an exhibition at the tournament, in 1908.

I was pleased to have won the medal ...now that I have the back story, I'm thrilled !

The cabinet card photograph was not included in the sale, but the seller sent it along with a note saying "...this might be Smith", and I have confirmed it is in fact Michael Holroyd Smith. How cool is that !

Dean.
Last edited by reelsmith. on Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Latest Addition ...

Post by RonG »

Nice find good Sir.
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

You find the COOLEST stuff !! John
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Hi Dean the images are not showing.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

In my book The Dreadnought Casting Reel Co., I covered the tournament held at Shepard Bush in 1908. The lineup of reels and personalities using them was impressive and led to at least two potential litigations.

The Meteor invented by Wadham and Scott made its debut and was used by Wadham and a few other competitors as did the Royde with Holroyd-Smith. The Hardy Silex was used by JJ Hardy, and the Illingworth No1 was used by Illingworth. Leonard Crossle competed with the Marston-Crossle, William Plevins a well-known international tournament caster used a Meek. Henry Coxon used the Coxon Aerial and FWK Wallis used a Wallis reel made by David Slater. Vicomte Henry de France, another well-known tournament caster used a reel of his own design a "mustard tin with the line wrapped around" I think this is the Peas Box Reel.

Holroyd-Smith had inadvertently infringed Illingworth's patent and the reel was withdrawn from sale. JJ Emery another tournament caster and friend of Hardy's inspected all of the reels for the report he was doing for the Fishing Gazette and he must have reported to his friends that the Meteor reel had infringed the 1896 Hardy Silex patent.

This resulted in an out-of-court settlement between Hardy Brothers and The Dreadnought Casting Reel Company.

A great find and a fantastic story.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Stef,

That's an interesting read. Looks like there were some strict rules on what reels could be used in the tournament with no patent infringement models allowed.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Hi Ron I think that Illingworth looked at the reel at the tournament and took action once the event had finished. Hardy took action against Wadham and Scott, allowing them to continue with the old Hardy patent but getting the Meteor patent to use on the Silex No2. They paid Wadham & Scott 6 pence for every reel they made with Wadham & Scott paying Hardy's 6 pence for every Meteor reel they made. Hardy even made Wadham & Scott stamp every Meteor reel with a production number so they could keep tabs.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks Ron, John and Stefan.

Stefan, thanks for the story, it was a great read.

BTW, I figured out my pictures weren't showing when I used Google to browse, so I guess I'll just load the pictures to ORCA from now on.

Dean.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice score, Dean and yes, please use the ORCA pic storage! That way when your other provider pulls a Photobucket move, the archive will still have your pics!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I really like that reel! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:04 pm I really like that reel! :cool
Just to be clear, its not my reel and is the only picture I can find of one.

Dean.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

reelsmith. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:09 pm
Midway Tommy D wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:04 pm I really like that reel! :cool
Just to be clear, its not my reel and is the only picture I can find of one.

Dean.
I knew that.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:39 pm I knew that.
I figured you knew, Tommy. I just wanted to put it out there so folks stop asking me how much I want for it. :lol:

Dean.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow.

The Holroyd Smith medal is an incredible find. Dean does it yet again! Thanks for posting.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

8)
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024