Penn engraved side plates

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Penn engraved side plates

Post by Shootrj2003 »

Does anyone have any info on the artist(s) who did this and how was the work accomplished?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Penn engraved side plates

Post by m3040c »

The engravings done for the Penn tail plates were accomplished by Ernest Haecker, one of Martha Henze's brothers. Martha Henze, wife of the founder of Penn reels, had three brothers, who all worked for Penn. Her brother Ernest was a superb engraver who engraved the Penn molds to create the picture plates. The some of the early Senator plates were signed with his initials "EH".
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

Thanks m3040c,
I appreciate the answer,very gifted individual a true artist,thanks and sorry I was late answering it.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

One of my favorites is the palm tree scene on the small diameter Penns.

Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Mike, do you know if any of the original engraved molds for making the end plates for Penn reels were saved? Those would be pretty cool and unusual collectibles.
BTW, fellow ORCAns, Mike has a good piece on Penn reels coming up in the September Reel News, which is still in the works.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike, do you know if any of the original engraved molds for making the end plates for Penn reels were saved? Those would be pretty cool and unusual collectibles.
Yes, but not many. I have an old JC Higgans Penn Trade Reel mold. I know of one other. Many of the mold plugs were saved and are still in the factory. If the old, engraved plates were to ever get discovered, they would be very hot items on the auction circuit.