Trouble again! Two Pf Supremes Help...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Trouble again! Two Pf Supremes Help...

Post by JoeW »

Yup, here I am again. Picked up a pair of later Pfl Supremes, a 513 and a 512 and can't figure them out! They both are EX++ but something's not right?

The 513: The slide button on top turns the anti-rev on and off. OK. But there's no click! And the slide button underneath doesn't seem to do anything!

The 512: The slide on top turns the click on-off... but there's no anti-rev! And once again, the slide button underneath doesn't seem to do anything!

Is the slide on the bottom of both reels broken? Or am I just missing something about the operation? Two very nice looking reels and I'd hate to just throw them into my junk box. As usual, I will really appreciate any help! Best--- JoeW

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Trouble again! Two Pf Supremes Help...

Post by john elder »

Good to see you, Joe! Both nice reels. Note the 512 has no drag, so thats why no anti-reverse. You need it with the 513 and star drag. I’m not sure whats up with the other button, but its common for these vintage reels to be packed with stiff grease that makes thing like clickers non-functional.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

There is a schematic for the 510, 511, 512, and 513 in the library that will help you. https://www.orcaonline.org/orca-store/o ... chematics/
I am not sure what you mean by the slide button underneath; if you mean the slide on the backplate, that is definitely a loud click on my similar reel. The 513 has freespool button on the center pin of the drag handle as well as the anti-reverse slide switch and click on the slide switch.

The 510 "Fastcaster" is listed as discontinued in 1969. It has the clicker slide on the backplate.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

OK! Let me try and get my head around this. I'm halfway through taking apart the 512. (How come the further you go taking apart a reel, the smaller the screws get?).

I tried clicking on the schematics link for some reason I can't get access. Tried my username and password, but kept getting denied. I am a member ORCA. Haven't posted in a while- maybe I have to re-register?

I'll be back with some more pics. Thanks peoples! Best--- JoeW
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

JoeW wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:17 am
I tried clicking on the schematics link for some reason I can't get access. Tried my username and password, but kept getting denied. I am a member ORCA. Haven't posted in a while- maybe I have to re-register?

I'll be back with some more pics. Thanks peoples! Best--- JoeW
Joe,
You have to register specifically for the store (different than your Reel Talk login info). Also, you have to be a paid ORCA member to do that.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

I am a paid ORCA member. Sent check #3026 on Jan 20, 2022. Just have to play around with the password/login, I guess. Thanks for the suggestions. Best---- JoeW (WNYTC ORCA)
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

OK- Got the 512 apart and more importantly, back together again! Now that my bleary eyes and trembling fingers have rested, here's what I found out.

That slide underneath the faceplate is connected to a flat brass disc that has one edge bent up and the opposite edge bent down. But that's it! The disc doesn't make contact with anything! I'm thinking there might have been a spring or something that flew out when someone opened the reel up? Same thing on the 513? Really, on BOTH reels! Shame- such nice looking reels! Anxious to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Still can't get the schematics to open. I AM an ORCA member and I tried several times with password/login, etc.

Thanks for your help... and patience. Best---- JoeW (WNYTC ORCA)

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Joe,

If you created a new user ID and Password just for the store account and got logged in you have to put the schematic (or whatever item you are getting from the library) into your cart and checkout before you can download it.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Looking at the slide on the bottom in the photos, it appears to cover or expose a hole which is a grease port that replaces the port on earlier Supreme models.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

By Jove, that's it! How could you see that it was a hole in just the pics? I thought it was just a black dot to show you "on-off"! But yep- it IS a hole... on BOTH reels! And the schematics bear out what you concluded! Thank you Bill!

And now I was able to get schematics. Some kind of a glitch with the site not recognizing me as a member. Anyhow, thanks Matt of getting that corrected. And Tom, thanks for your patience and encouragement! John- thanks for the comments, as usual. Everyone now turned what I thought were two broken reels into two nice reels in great shape! As I said many times-- great site, great people! I'll be baaaaack! Best---- JoeWalkowski (WNYTC ORCA)
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

As to how I saw the hole Joe--reading glasses. Do yourself a favor (unless you really have to do it) don't disassemble the free spool/star drag mechanism on any of these Supremes. What a pain to get back together so they function correctly.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thanks once again, Bill, for those tips! I DO have TWO pairs of readers with different magnifications, AND TWO magnifying glasses- I can use the one to see the craters of the moon!

I should say, I'm not a reelsmith. I try not to pick up reels that seem to have mechanical problems! I may replace a worn pawl (Dang tiny little screws again!) or give one a soak in my special juice, but I don't often do open heart surgery! I'll add the tip about not monkeying with handle FS and/or star drags to my list of "Don't Do's"! They include:

Don't force a side plate off of an auto fly reel that still has the spring engaged!
Don't even try to reattach that little spring that keeps tension on a SB ABL bar!
Don't use a thumbnail as a replacement for a screwdriver!
Don't think you have a replacement end cap in your box for a certain reel, I NEVER do!
Don't do anything more, just give up, after cursing 3 times!

Have fun, Bill! Best----- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA)