New Kentucky Reel Book

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Doug Carpenter
Frequent Board Poster

New Kentucky Reel Book

Post by Doug Carpenter »

Betty Barr and Don Kleier have a new book on Kentucky reels now available - Crafting & Casting, The Famed Frankfort Kentucky Reel.
There was a Meet and Greet session July 11, 2022 at the Paul Sawyer Library in Frankfort to announce the new book. It was well attended by locals from Frankfort and a smattering of ORCA members thrown in – Howard Fortune, Bill Hinkebein and myself. Brochures promoting the upcoming National Show in Frankfort and ORCA membership were available which enticed a couple of promising new members.
Betty and Don had a wonderful, one hour slide presentation designed to provide an overview. The book itself is TREMENDOUS. It is different from the other books you may have seen in that it is full of interesting details on the people behind the reels made in Frankfort – Meek, Milam, Gayle and Sage.
The book is the ultimate companion to the most professional reel presentation you will ever see at the Capital City Museum in Frankfort (admission is free). The book is currently available from the museum and should soon be available from ORCA.

Last edited by Doug Carpenter on Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: New Kentucky Reel Book

Post by RonG »

I can't wait to get my copy.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s great news! I can’t wait to buy a copy.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Looking forward to getting a copy!! Also looking forward to the ORCA show coming up in Frankfort, KY!! Hope to see many fine reels and lots of friends! :D
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Also can't wait to get my copy and devour it. Look forward to seeing everyone at the National Show in Frankfort in Sept. Seems like we should fish the Elkhorn with some of these old Kentucky reels, just like Henshall. I need to figure out which reel to use, since David Lehmann taught us that Kentucky's must be considered expendable in the pursuit of fishing. (See 2017 Branson National reports).
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Gosh Doug, thank you for the post. Yes it is out! Gene Burch did the layout and design. He was our banquet speaker at the 2013 Frankfort show and the photographer who took all of the photographs of the Kentucky reel collections brought to the show by our members. The book was written as a detailed explanation of the exhibit. It is a companion piece for those wanting the background of the Frankfort reel industry and the makers. Included is the 1852 B. F. Meek chronometer, the only clock movement known to be made in Kentucky. We have included Frankfort history as it pertains to the reel business over the years.
100% of the proceeds go to the Capital City Museum. It is priced to sell in order to get the history to the public, increase the number of visitors to the museum and help fund its projects. It is only available online or at the museum. If you want to order it, you can find it online: www.capitalcitymuseum.com
It is $20 plus tax and shipping.
Or it will be available at the Frankfort show - another great reason to come to Frankfort!
It is 100 pages of stories and color photographs. We learned so much writing it. It has given us a much deeper appreciation for the craft.