TV star and ORCA past president Schottenham

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

TV star and ORCA past president Schottenham

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: TV star and ORCA past president Schottenham

Post by john elder »

Boy, Jim is in Hog Heaven! Livin’ the Life! So happy for you, Jim! All those new toys to play with!!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Very interesting production: a relatively contemporary (ca. 1973) cane rod, an R&B soundtrack and showing how it’s actually fished, generation-to-generation. Not your typically stodgy museum production. Thanks for posting that, Steve.

By the way, I rejoined the AMFF after a decade hiatus, in recognition of Jim’s selection as curator. I’ve not been disappointed.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

That's an interesting first episode. Jim gives some good info on Orvis Impregnated fly rods. Gordon, the fisherman, seems to know his stuff when it comes to using the rod.
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Is it just me, or does using a very modern reel on a vintage bamboo rod just look wrong?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Very cool. Great to see Jim there.

Agree a period reel would have been appropriate. Also... not so sure the angler was all too impressed fishing in that environment (wind, reds, timing) with such a rod. His comments suggested the rod wasn't the right tool for the job. I guess I'm noticing the gaps in the story after having watched a video recently on the challenges of fishing to reds on shallow flats. And we didn't actually see him catching with the rod. Reality might not have looked so pretty. Fighting a large strong fish on too soft a rod can be... not all that much fun, esp when trying to land it. Something no amount of R&B can gloss over.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

If I had that job I might never go home! Sue would have to come visit me. I’d give her a discount on the admission fee of course.