Kalamazoo Tackle Co. - Year of Manufacture &

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
eLMO
Big ORCA Fan

Kalamazoo Tackle Co. - Year of Manufacture &

Post by eLMO »

I'm new to the site and just obtained some vintage reels in my possession. I was wondering if anyone could help put a manufacture's date to this particular reel, and provide any insight on the Red Knob Tackle company or Duvall's Sporting Goods? Reel is a Kalamazoo Tackle Co. Challenger 1718, Model D in what appears to be great condition. It has what I assume is an original sticker on the side from the store that sold it, namely Duvall's Sporting Goods / Red Knob Tackle 4248 So. Vermont and looks like L A below the address (I assume Los Angeles). Sticker depicts "Established 1913" and a slogan "Hobnob with Red Knob". I can't find no historical references for this business.

Thx in advance for any help you can provide

Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Kalamazoo Tackle Co. - Year of Manufacture &

Post by Eric J »

Welcome to ORCA eLMO! That is a sweet find. I’m no expert on KTC reels, but it certainly looks like the late 1930’s/ early 1940’s pre-war Shakespeare President. A high quality reel in top condition.
Hopefully a KTC collector will let us know what year the Model D is from.
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Some years ago, for reasons unknown, I took a liking to Duvalls Sporting Goods and started collecting items bearing their sticker. Some of my reels have actual red knobs, presumably made specifically for Duvalls Red Knob brand tackle. I tried to research the company but not a lot of info. I did receive this from a member on another board:
"I was 10 years old in 1946 and Duvalls was a few blocks from my home
on Vermont Ave and 45th street on the corner a few blocks below the
Los Angeles Colisium. They sold fishing tackle and repaired outboard
engines. The owner was Mr Duvall and his son-in-law. I would hang out
after school in the store because I loved to fish and listen to the salty
stories. A few years later both of us moved away, the neighborhood
was starting to run down.This area was known as the killing fields, South
Central Los Angeles. I always wondered what happened to Mr Duvall
because he was very kind to me. Great memories."
-Chris R.
eLMO
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eLMO »

Thank you both for the feedback on the reel and info on Duvall's Sporting Goods. It was a nice find in such good condition and the Duvall's sticker is in great condition as well. Look forward to any info someone can provide on model Ds
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Catalogs for Shakespeare's Kalamazoo Tackle Division are almost non-existent, so it's very difficult to put a build date to your reel. I have Kalamazoo's 1941 catalog, the only one of any year that I've seen. They were not meant for the public eye, only for dealers who sold the economy Shakespeare Kalamazoo line, which is one reason we never see them. My catalog shows the No.1718 Challenger (which sold for $4.00), but it's the later model with the engraved side plates. I don't believe that Shakespeare continued the Kalamazoo line after the war (could be wrong), which I think puts your reel somewhere between 1936 to 1939 or so. I have no idea what the Model D refers to. With so little information to go on, it's a tough call. Also, these were nowhere near the quality of the Shakespeare "President" or "Professional". More like an inexpensive "Ideal" model. Nice find and good to know who the original retailer was.
Mark
eLMO
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eLMO »

Thanks for the insight! I appreciate the responses and help I have received