WTB: Pflueger "Trade Reel" w/ Raised Pillars

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

WTB: Pflueger "Trade Reel" w/ Raised Pillars

Post by Billy Blauser »

This would be an unmarked nickel plated reel about 2" inches in diameter with raised pillars that Pflueger (or perhaps others?) made for export overseas circa 1910. It is stamped with a "60" on the inside of the reel seat (for 60 yard capacity)... I will pay Very Well......Thanks.....Bill............(pls contact through PM or board email).

{Editor updated pictures and added this text} This reel is for a 1904 CROSSBOW FOR FISHING

{moderator removed phone number for security}
Last edited by Billy Blauser on Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick53
Big ORCA Fan

Re: WTB: Pflueger "Trade Reel" w/ Raised Pillars

Post by Rick53 »

This looks eerily similar to an Atlas Portage 60 that I have. It is a approx. 1.8” diameter inside the raised
pillars
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

SO-O close.....but I need one without a name stamped on it.....thanks......Bill
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

This looks like the kind of reel we bring to five years of shows and no one looks at. Someone out there must have this reel. I do wonder if it is for sure Pflueger or possibly Hendryx. There are experts on here that might comment on that.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

Thank you Matt...... the reel would stamped with a capacity mark of "60" on the inside of the reel seat....and perhaps the manufacturer is Atlas? (please look at photos)......I need one to finish restoring an early 1900's French "Crossbow for Fishing". Attached here is a photo of a complete Crossbow for Fishing.

Last edited by Billy Blauser on Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Is a different point/tip used? If not, how is the arrow kept from pulling back through the entry hole?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

There is a spring on the inside of the barrel that holds the arrow/dart/harpoon in place........the arrow shown here is a facsimile of an original.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bill, why does it have to be Pflueger? If you're restoring a crossbow that is not the one in the photo, why not use a French reel? The one in the photo looks restored already. And it looks as if the line is shot from a gyeonji rod-like thing below.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

I was told by a supposed knowledgeable reel collector here in the U.S. that the pictures of the reel I have posted above are of a Pflueger "Trade Reel"......but have been told by other collectors that this reel is perhaps of another manufacturer........but regardless of maker, this is the reel that originally came equipped on these ManuFrance Crossbows....and so is the reel I need and for which I am wishing to pay a strong price for.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Billy Blauser wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 am There is a spring on the inside of the barrel that holds the arrow/dart/harpoon in place........the arrow shown here is a facsimile of an original.
I guess I wasn't clear, I meant what keeps the arrow from pulling back through the hole in the fish since there are no barbs on the tip?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

There were several different versions of the original arrow/dart/harpoon.....some of which had barbs....others which had a triangular point....and others like this that were advertised as "field Points" for target practice....with any of these being nearly non-existent.....but I keep looking.
Last edited by Billy Blauser on Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Billy Blauser wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:24 am I was told by a supposed knowledgeable reel collector here in the U.S. that the pictures of the reel I have posted above are of a Pflueger "Trade Reel"......but have been told by other collectors that this reel is perhaps of another manufacturer........but regardless of maker, this is the reel that originally came equipped on these ManuFrance Crossbows....and so is the reel I need and for which I am wishing to pay a strong price for.
The "Atlas" was not a Pflueger Trade reel. It was a regular production model from their economy Portage line of reels.
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

What I meant was that the raised pillar reel which I posted pics of may be a Pfluger?.....or an Atlas?....or a Hendryx.....I only know that the the pics are of what I am needing and will pay very well for.
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

I was told I have a new message......but I do not see it?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Private Messages box should show just to the left of your name at the top right, if you are logged in. Also, check joes old lures message board for items being sold by Mark Edson.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

nm