NFLCC National 2022 unusual finds

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
kyreels
Super Board Poster

NFLCC National 2022 unusual finds

Post by kyreels »

Here are a couple of things I picked up at the NFLCC National 2022 show in Springfield, IL. The B.F. Meek and Sons line spool is the only one I have ever seen, and apparently was hidden away in John Etchison's collection until his passing. It was originally found in the field by Gibby Gibson. The Pflueger casting weight is notable because of the early brass line tie. That dates it to to 1905-1910 period. Most of them have the nickel line tie, except the early unpainted ones. I had a long discussion with Joe Stagnitti about early brass line ties. I had seen this weight before and thought it was oxidized nickel, but he showed me that it was definitely brass. The patina on very old brass looks a lot like iron rust. The reel I acquired from Dean Smith some time ago and is not a National find.

The line on the spool is not original to the spool. I just could not resist spooling it with 10 lb silk tournament line from the period.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: NFLCC National 2022 unusual finds

Post by RonG »

Nice finds Matt. Those are a couple of good additions to the tournament casting collection.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: NFLCC National 2022 unusual finds

Post by Mike N »

Very cool, Matt. Congrats!

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990