Orvis 50A reverse threaded ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Orvis 50A reverse threaded ?

Post by Phil M. »

Are the nut that holds the rotor on the frame and the screw that holds the axle link to the main gear reverse threaded on a model 50A? On the 50A I obtained, both are very tight/frozen. The reel is soaking presently. I also have an Orvis 100A which is supposed to be the same reel,only larger, and both locations are reverse threaded. I don't want to damage anything, so should I be turning them clockwise to loosen them on a 50A?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Orvis 50A reverse threaded ?

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It's been awhile since I serviced my 50A but my recollection is that the rotor nut/pinion is definitely reverse thread, as is the case with almost all the Zangi made reels. The rotor may also be threaded to the pinion, some are. If so it would be reverse, also. Be careful with that brass nut, they crack easily. The best option when working on Italian made reels, especially the earlier circas, is to work screws and nuts back and forth lightly in both directions until you feel it loosen. Many a screw or nut has been broken by trying to force things, usually in the wrong direction.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027