Did Hendryx make a "trade reel" for export?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Did Hendryx make a "trade reel" for export?

Post by Billy Blauser »

Did Hendryx make a "trade reel" with raised pillars around 1900 that would have been meant to be sold overseas to other companies? These reels would have been unmarked except for the capacity # (40 or 60) stamped underneath the reel seat.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Did Hendryx make a "trade reel" for export?

Post by Teal »

Yes, I have seen Hendryx reels ca. 1890-1910 in a number of overseas catalogs.

-- Dr. Todd
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

Thank you......good to know.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

According to the Annual Report of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, of the State of Connecticut, 1903, "[Hendryx] manufactures 350 different styles and sizes of brass , bronze and japanned bird and animal cages and in addition complete lines of fishing reels, artificial baits, chains and wire picture cord.
These goods are distributed widely throughout the United States and Canada, and exported in large quantities to almost every country in the world."
I think the original question meant, "Did Hendryx make what we consider as 'trade reels' that were deliberately unmarked for export?" I don't think that every single reel sold domestically was marked with the Hendryx name, so that's a tough question.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Billy Blauser
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Billy Blauser »

Thanks for the info Steve 👍....and yes....I am still looking for this apparently not rare reel that I've posted photos of.......Anyone out there?