Reel News Sept 2022 Posted

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Reel News Sept 2022 Posted

Post by kyreels »

The Reel News for Sept 2022 is posted in the orcaonline Members Area. It is a doozy. From Richard's editor comments:
There are lots of excellent articles in this issue of the magazine, including pieces by Steve Vernon, Mike Cacioppo, Roger Schulz, Charlie Tanner, David Lehmann and Bill Hinton, and more. There’s also an excellent profile of ORCA director Bryce Tawney, by Betty Barr, and a fine essay about trout fishing (with photos) by Kevin Haney, which I hope you enjoy.
In the auction world, another high mark was set for a sporting collectible recently. No, not another muskie sized Haskell Minnow, but an excellent condition Honus Wagner baseball card. The card sold in early August for $7.25 million, topping the previous record for a baseball card. Yep, another Honus Wagner card, which went to a bidder in 2021 for $6.6 million.
The T-206 card isn’t exactly a Picasso or Renoir, but in the collectible world it’s the kind of thing you hope to find at the bottom of... well.... A tackle box you pick up for $5 at a yard sale. One with a nice Bogdan reel in it.
Ken Goldin, whose Goldin Auctions handled the sale, said, “There’s a reason why no Wagner card has ever sold for less
than it was previously purchased for – the card is art, it’s history, it’s folklore. ...To be a part of history and facilitate this record- breaking sale is an honor.”Card experts believe no more than 50 Honus Wagner cards exist, so don’t give up hope.
The print issues go in the mail this week, so look for your copy!
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Reel News Sept 2022 Posted

Post by m3040c »

I was walking through the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan once many years ago. On loan in one of the hallways was a display of framed Tobacco cards. The cards are very small, maybe 1.5 X 2 inches. The frames were large, 2 X 3 feet each. The cards were displayed in cut out mattings, set iin the frames under glass. Most of the large frames had multiple cut outs in the mats to display full sets of tobacco cards, until I came to this one large frame with a tiny cutout right in the middle and there was the Honus Wagner card surrounded by matting, under glass like it was a Leonardo DaVinci original. It was very weird. A little, kind of ugly card worth millions just hanging on the wall.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Seems like some people just have way too much money. :shock: For some reason the first thing that always comes to mind when I see exorbitant collector amounts like that paid for mere chattle is how much good those funds could do if invested or empowered elsewhere.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Seems like some people just have way too much money. :shock: For some reason the first thing that always comes to mind when I see exorbitant collector amounts like that paid for mere chattle is how much good those funds could do if invested or empowered elsewhere.
I understand what you are saying, but I believe there is room for both in our world. That same wealthy person that is paying massive numbers for a collectible may also have a Foundation that is dedicated to a cause of his choosing. One never knows.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

The Reel News for Sept 2022 is posted in the orcaonline Members Area.
I'd love to be able to see it, however my continued attempts to view the members only page fail. I've cleared cache, closed the browser, refreshed, etc., without success. It is very frustrating to say the least. What make this even more infuriating is that the upper right of the screen cheerfully shows "Howdy, Jim Schottenham". So, it knows I'm logged in.
:bash: :bash:
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jim Schottenham wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:47 pm
The Reel News for Sept 2022 is posted in the orcaonline Members Area.
I'd love to be able to see it, however my continued attempts to view the members only page fail. I've cleared cache, closed the browser, refreshed, etc., without success. It is very frustrating to say the least. What make this even more infuriating is that the upper right of the screen cheerfully shows "Howdy, Jim Schottenham". So, it knows I'm logged in.
:bash: :bash:
That’s a bummer, Jim. My copy arrived today and it’s worth the wait, especially for this great article about my favorite fly reel written by….Jim Schottenham…

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Sic transit gloria sports card price records! From Associated Press via NPR, 8/28/22:
"A mint condition Mickey Mantle baseball card sold for $12.6 million Sunday, blasting into the record books as the most ever paid for sports memorabilia in a market that has grown exponentially more lucrative in recent years. The rare Mantle card eclipsed the record just posted a few months ago — $9.3 million for the jersey worn by Diego Maradona when he scored the contentious "Hand of God" goal in soccer's 1986 World Cup. It easily surpassed the $7.25 million for a century-old Honus Wagner baseball card recently sold in a private sale."
Gee, when you think about how many Kentucky reels that money could have bought...

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Has the digital version been sent out yet?
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Stephen,

Go to the "Member Services/Members Only Area" tabs on the home page and you can download the issue.
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I still haven't received mine. What's the longest it should take to get to Maryland?

Kevin Haney
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I got my September issue (it's still August, so it's delivery is early) today in Florida.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I feel for Jim. It's kind of cumbersome trying to find the Reel News online. You have to log into your "Members Only Account", go to the "Members Only Area" and go down the list to "Reel News Latest" to see the latest (September) issue.

My question, and concern, is, does the previous Reel News issue go by the wayside when the latest issue gets posted online? It appears that is the case as I was not able to view the previous or any prior issues unless I went to the index to view a specific article. It seems that if someone misses viewing an issue before the latest issue comes out they will not be able to view it because it will no longer be available. Is that, in fact, the case? If so there should be a simple way, since we are putting them online now, to just add to the list rather than replacing or deleting the previous issue.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

RonG wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:35 am Hey Stephen,

Go to the "Member Services/Members Only Area" tabs on the home page and you can download the issue.
My home page has May 2022 as the latest available.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

It sounds like you have an older version of the page that comes up. I would recommend clearing your cache on your computer.
Last edited by RonG on Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

It's kind of cumbersome trying to find the Reel News online.
Tru dat! But Tommy's solution is correct for the current issue:
You have to log into your "Members Only Account," go to the "Members Only Area" and go down the list to "Reel News Latest" to see the latest (September) issue.
For previous issues, you have to log into your "Members Only Account", go to the "Members Only Area" and go down the list to "Reel News Online Index Part 1" and "Part 2." The links in the right-hand columns bring up entire Reel News issues, not just the indexed articles. (I learned this only after bothering Matt.)
P.S. The Members Only login is separate from the Reel Talk login and requires club membership.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

For some reason only the USPS knows, this issue seems to be delayed getting to some parts of the country. Please be patient folks. It is mailed from Arizona and usually travels pretty fast, but this one hit some points in some areas for some unknown reason.
Richard
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

You may not know it, but your web browser keeps a page you have previously visited on you local computer so that it will load quickly the next time. If a page changes visibly, the page will automatically reload and recache. But I was trying to save some effort and just use the "Latest Issue" instead of having to change the month all the time. So it looks like that may cause some of you issues.

Now that we are updating the Members Only page frequently (at minimum every two months), it may be necessary for you to ensure the correct page downloads and does not read from your browser cache. In the web development world, browser cache is usually broken without any effort on your part by a programmer that ensures there is something different in the javascript versioning of the code. However, in the wordpress world, I dont control the front end, and it may require some effort on your part. It is a little different on each browser type (Edge, Safari, Chrome, Firefox), but there is usually a Force Reload page you can try. If that does not work, clear your browser cache for the last 30 days.

I guess I may have to start putting the month and year into the page text to prevent that problem in the future.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

If you use Windows, you can clear your browsing history and temp files by running "Disk Cleanup" in the Windows Accessories. In the search box on the taskbar, type Disk Cleanup, then select it from the results.