nickel plating removal on Meisselbachs

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

nickel plating removal on Meisselbachs

Post by corbo »

Ladies and gents,
Have a few featherlights and experts that are rough because of plating loss but otherwise VG. Thinking of converting them to "bronze" finish.....plating removal.
Anyone with thoughts or experience with doing so would be appreciated.
Corbo
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: nickel plating removal on Meisselbachs

Post by john elder »

I sometimes wish that reel collectors looked on refinishing like car buffs. I see so many great reels that work great but have paint or plating issues. The reality is that stripping off the finish will end collector value, if the reel had any to begin with. However, that’s the key here. If the reel is not high dollar or rare, take it to your comfort level and enjoy looking at or using it !

I have a passel of Pflueger Medalists that i would love to refinish, as the paint on those reels is super crappy. My compromise is to do what you suggest and strip them down to bare metal and fish them. They look pretty darned good in the nude. Given their fishability… one of the best all-around fly reels ever made ( MHO), they still have value.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Have you thought about re-plating them? There are YouTube videos about DIY nickel plating, and it doesn’t look too hard. I’ve never tried it but have thought about it. It could be a fun experiment on those reels.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Eric, that was my point. You can replate and its not too difficult to set up, but many collectors rate that as a major sin. It’s galling to watch Wayne Carini send over all the Lambo bright work for replating and then sell the car for megabucks without anyone even blinking. As of now, it’s still considered by some to be equivalent to repainting or touching up lures.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I agree that replating/repainting in an attempt to deceive a buyer is wrong.
I would guess that a Featherweight or Expert that needs replating also has other wear issues that will keep it from looking new.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Looking as new is a pipe dream and not an intention. Meisselbach brass featherlights and experts were made for the most part in both nickel plated and what they called "bronze" finish. Some of either I have never seen or own in "bronze" nor do I know if they were made in that finish....White or Schultz may. Hence the question.
Last count is 115 nicely functional original examples including the amateurs with 3 or 4 holes to fill.....so about done, and am very selective going forward.
I appreciate your comments and agree.