Very interesting quill click photos from Don Kleier

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Very interesting quill click photos from Don Kleier

Post by Mike N »

After I posted the quill click photo on the Noel reel thread, Don Kleier sent Steve and me the following note and photos, which I post here at Don’s request.

I’ve attached a couple pictures of an early Meek reel Betty and I have. I opened it up to clean and inspect it and was floored to find it had a quill click! I’ve never seen another with a purpose built click switch attaching a pinned quill. I always thought those “stories” were repair of a broken spring steel click or just mythology. Not after this reel! It also has a click switch that operates vertically while every other Meek reel operates laterally. Perhaps this is a better way to guess the click material rather than trying to listen to it. I understand that goose quills were favored for writing because they were large and rigid and the hollow shaft would hold ink. There are Canada geese, turkeys, and turkey vultures a plenty in Kentucky. Oh! I did find that it was easily bent back to engage the pinion gear and makes a pleasant but soft click.

I’d be interested in your collective thoughts …
Don

I’ve personally never seen such an unusual feature in any of my Kentucky reels. But it does not surprise me that it was found in a J.F. and B.F. Meek early, numbered screws reel. Anyone else have one?

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Very interesting quill click photos from Don Kleier

Post by Eric J »

Porcupine quill? Those are pretty tough.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Very interesting quill click photos from Don Kleier

Post by kyreels »

Good to see the photos of the internal workings of an old reel, always welcomed.

The use of Goose Quills for early J.F. & B.F. Meek reel clicks as well as early Meek & Milam is fairly well known and well documented. Fishing Reel Makers of Kentucky page 32 has a great description.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle