difficulties trying to by Steve's book

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

difficulties trying to by Steve's book

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I hope others have not had the difficulties I have had trying to purchase Steve's book through the store. Well over an hour was spent trying to jump through every hoop imaginable only to be told each time that it could not retrieve my order. I changed my password and logged in but I have finally tossed in the towel and given up. Nothing should be this difficult when one only wants to send money to ORCA.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: difficulties trying to by Steve's book

Post by RonG »

Hey Bill,

I'm sorry you're having issues accessing the Store. We'll give you a call today to help resolve this problem.

In the meantime, I can tell you the main reason why people have issues trying to gain access to the Store. I don't know if this is the reason for your issue, but it's worth noting for everyone's information.

The Store requires a separate login username and password than that used for Reel Talk. The reason being that anyone, whether ORCA Member or not, can get a username and password for Reel Talk. The Store requires a separate username and password. In order to gain access to the Store, a person has to be vetted by the Website Administrator to maintain and ensure it's security. As you know, the Store contains your credit card and PayPal info. In order to verify you have an account in the Store, click on "My Account" up in the far right corner of the home page. Enter your Store username or email and your password. If you don't get logged in, your account info has a problem and needs to be looked into.

Another good word of advice is to occasionally clear the memory cache on your computer of your browsing history and temporary files. In Windows, this is done by using the "Disk Cleanup" application that is accessible through Windows search block. This also frees up a lot of memory and increases computer speed.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

That's disturbing. :bash: If anyone else has a problem ordering the book from the store, please PM or email me (address in Orca roster). I'm the one who ships them when an order is placed through the store.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I monitor the store's orders each day, and I can tell you that Bill's order is the only one out the last 100 to actually fail. I am not sure why. I emailed Bill yesterday at 10 PM when I saw the failure come through. I am still not sure why he was the only one to have this issue. But I immediately recognized it and tried to contact him. Its a little disappointing to see a complaint on this site for that.

It is the nature of technology that we update the site each week and there are issues that occur outside of our control. However, I can assure everyone that we get hundreds of orders each month that are successful and easy for the member. When we do see an issue, we promptly address it and try to determine the root cause. To the person that it happens to, it is of course serious and inconvenient. But it is not a call for extreme alarm.

If you ever have a problem with the website or ordering or anything else on orcaonline, just reach out to me. It is very likely I can help you.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle